Next to school

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ko Ko Naing, 25th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

It's a primary one.

2. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

I assume if it were in a walking distance, not opposite, the result could be different.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

absolutely, that would probably be an advantage.

4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I rented just behind a school. Turns out it was a busy back entrance. If I was leaving the house 30mins prior to start or finish times I'd have to move my car to the street as I was parked in every day and on the very rare occasion I wasn't, there was no room to swing the car out from the driveway. If my kids ended up going to that school it would be great, school drop off and pickup takes forever when you need to park the car.,

5. Alfiesausagedog

Alfiesausagedog Well-Known Member

Hey guys, similar question here to cherubym, however it's for a PPOR and not an investment property.

One house we're looking at is situated literally across the street from an elite boys school. This is the most sought after school in town, however it does also share a fence with the local fish and chips which store I imagine the students would frequent before and after class.

The property overlooks the school oval which is nice and is in a very nice suburb.

What are your thoughts guys, would the proximity to the chippy and the fact it's literally across the street from the school affect value?

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Does the price reflect this??

7. Alfiesausagedog

Alfiesausagedog Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell. Looking at comparative sales nearby, this property seems to be advertised quite high for the suburb.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its really your call, living opposite a school will limit your market when selling? will it effect value? I don't know as I don't know this area. Contact many re agents and get their opinions on this, and whether it would impact on resale.

9. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

The house where I live now backs onto a high school. No issues!

sauber likes this.
  10. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

I live behind a highschool. No dramas whatsoever. I'd Rather live behind a school than have **** neighbors behind me. For 12 weeks of the year no school so its very quiet. but where my house is there is the maintenance shed. And that's really good in my opinion.

11. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Interesting graph on public housing though nowadays esp in Melbourne if u have one big tower like in park st south Melbourne, townhouses even facing it fly off the shelf for 2-3 million

Tram road in Doncaster where they build an apartment tower outside Westfield yet apartments in the towers next door sold out.

Unless the whole suburb is 30-50% public housing or a huge section of it is there would be some correlation. Also there is new and old public housing, new houses u can't even tell the diff if was a house in a premium suburb onot.

12. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I'll use the example of North Geelong - there are two main residential parts to the suburb, separated by an industrial area. One part is near the Geelong West St Peters footy oval, bounded by Stubbs Ave/Coxon Pde/Weddell Rd, the other consists of Osborne Ave/Walsgott St/Giddings St. The first part is full of public housing, both new and old, yet the second is free of public housing. However homes in the first section usually sell for considerably more - no I don't know why either.

melbournian likes this.
  13. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Coxon Pde has it's share of fascinating residents..quite a contrast from the 'Nouveau Pako' description given to most houses in those five parallel streets that straddle the train line via Stubs Ave and the footy ground, and of course the saleyards!

Might be that thing where being closer to Pako counts G-Town, even is it's just by an additional minute or two by car. On a larger scale it's like how the closest Geelong houses to Melbourne are the cheapest in the area, as locals seem to have a bee in the bonnet about living there.

I reckon with schools, it's generally not too bad. Perhaps being unable to park near your place as so many parents pick kids up is a hassle, as is the congestion of normally quiet residential streets. taking North Geelong Secondary College, it abuts Separation St and Thompson Rd, two main arterials so most traffic is taken up by the busier roads. Digby Ave Belmont or even Bailey St Grovedale..wow they get busy at school times. I guess if you're working and are not home at these times it's probably less of an issue.

14. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Our PPOR is at a guess 350-400ish metres (on the other side of a road) from a primary school.
    We have no parking issues in our side street (probably too far away for the average parent).
    I am never home during school times so therefore never hear any bells or announcements.
    Do hear them call out all the winning numbers on the spinning wheel on fete day though (never mine)
    But thats only once a year.