Next to school

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ko Ko Naing, 25th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Not sure if this thread should be in General Property Chat or Where to Buy. Since it is related to location, I'd assume this belongs to Where to Buy.

Anyway, I'd just like to know what other investors think about an IP, that is next to a primary school. Not sure about whether it is a good school or not. The back of one of the properties that I have been looking to make an offer is a local primary school. I've never lived in such a place, where the other side of backyard is a school, so not sure. Could the noise from school such as bell, children, etc. be a negative point?

I'd really appreciate to know what others think.

Cheers!

2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

If it is a sort after school it would be a positive with long term tenants if their kids attend the school.
    Lots of noise & traffic would be a negative. Sirens 6 times a day.

Their is a website where you can check the school stats which show performance rates etc.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I grew up in house behind a school, never noticed it cause I was always at school! It was strange on sick days when all these cars were parked in the street!
    Check which part of the school is nearest the prop, eg play areas, maintenance shed. It can be quiet and away from the traffic areas it won't be noticed, but in saying a tenant may not look into it in that much detail, as long as it isn't an obvious inconvenience

4. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Your best bet would be to hang out at the property during school start and finish times, and also at recess to gauge the noise levels.

We looked at a place near a school once but the streets around it were gridlocked at pickup and drop off times.

MTR and wylie like this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yep; this is standard procedure at almost every primary school anywhere you care to look.

6. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone for sharing comments.

I should definitely try to hang out around school drop off and pick up times. The property is not near the school buildings/play area. It looks like it's near the quiet end of the campus.

I assume working class tenants wouldn't notice anything, as they will be at work during school times.

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

You will be lessening your tenant base and could weaken any exit strategy. Schools are no longer 40 weeks a year 8.30am to 3pm but rather more community spaces where events can happen each week day evening and sports/church can held on the weekends.

Mummabear89 and Esel like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Property in good school catchment areas are sought after.

Parking and traffic are generally the biggest problem. Check for a secondary entry to the school as this also attracts pickup and dropoffs.

Check out the school reputation, school size/no pupils, transportation/walking, no. of demountables/newer buildings.

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm about 200m down a street opposite from a small primary school (i.e. not the main drag it is on), and its briefly a little bit bustling at drop off and pick up times, but at this distance, the convenience of walking the kids far outweighs the limitations. It's a small school so parking is more an issue with the cafe on the weekends than the school. But even still, fine.

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I'm also 300m away from a small local primary school. The Cafe not far from the school poses more parking issues than parents and the Cafe attracts customers outside the burb. Within a young family proximity to school is a big plus. I don't think parents mind the school bells.

What's your targeted tenants? Young family? Young couples? Is there also a good high school nearby?

11. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Good school or bad school no issue: You will find that people would want to rent or buy the place due to being very close to the school.

What school is it?

12. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

We have done a lot of research around how appraised value relates to proximity to amenities.

By far and away the highest correlations are found when looking at Transport, schools and shopping (supermarkets etc). Doctors, parks, hospitals, cafes, restaurants etc had no strong or definable correlation.

You can see below that 250m to the closest school is the sweetspot, past 1500m and things really drop off a cliff. This is an average for all metro suburbs with units and houses mapped separately.

We build all these correlations into our appraisal engine btw.

[​IMG]

Public housing is another - which can have a huge correlation (+/- 20%ish).

[​IMG]

pwt and Hwangers like this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is the parking and not having any space for a visitor to park that would annoy me the most, and which I believe is a big factor in whether it adds or takes value from your house.

We live near a school and have no parking issues, but the last couple of weeks of school, there is a noticeable spreading of cars parked during school hours (most with P plates - seniors just getting licences and being allowed to take a car to school for the last few weeks).

Similarly, I would be careful buying near a hospital, depending on where it is. We had a house close enough to walk to PA Hospital. Parking there was not fun, and years ago, meters were added. Tenants on a lease could apply for free on-street parking, but finding one was the problem. We ensured there was off street parking on our property to counter the parking issues.

RBH just near the Ekka isn't in the middle of suburbia, so parking probably isn't an issue for nearby houses, as there are not that many left.

Greenslopes Private Hospital has grown huge in the past few years, and I would not buy in the streets surrounding it because the streets radiating from it are parked out all day. I cannot believe it has no impact on values in the streets immediately nearby. Unless a house has off street parking available, visiting someone in a surrounding street nearby would be a PITA.

As Bran mentions, cafes can be a problem too, but hospitals tend to have cars arrive early and stay all day, staff not wanting to pay for on-site car parking, and visitors trying to find spots. Schools are the same as hospitals if teachers and staff don't have on-site parking.

When we head back to where we lived (Balmoral) I don't miss it due to Oxford Street and all surrounding streets being parked out day and night. You have to walk a long way now unless you "luck" a park close to the action.

That is before even considering noise from the school. I would sit outside the house and listen, but that means doing it soon (private schools, probably already too late).

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

+1.
    And staff at such hospitals are prepared to walk a pretty long way!
    Conversely, you have a recession-proof tenant pool as the trade-off, I guess.

larrylarry likes this.
  15. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

My house is next to a school(currently tenanted) I think it's brilliant, only have students there for 40 weeks of the year, and it's quiet at night but most of all I don't see or hear any of it. Maybe on my RDO, other than that nothing.( that was when I was living in it)

The tenants love the area and don't want to leave and said its quiet.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Is it a high school or primary school??

17. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Next to school, never again

Lived briefly in a house a few doors down from a primary school; was a uni student at that time so heard all the yells after school ended and the kids walked past my place to wherever.

Currently work from home, so surroundings are a big deal to me. There's a growing number of work from home people (or retirees, students, or stay at home parents), so I think you'd alienate them as a tenant base. However, just a bit further away and I'd be happy.

MTR likes this.
  18. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Might look a little creepy thougho_O

SerenityNow likes this.
  19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

In the hills area (NSW), if you have a property in the Matthew Pearce catchment, it's worth a mint and you may even have offers of people wanting to use your address.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We lived opposite a primary school, this was our primary residence.

Once my children went on to High School we sold up.

Too noisy, litter, people parking in your driveway, blocking your drive way, traffic at certain times in morning and afternoon, no control with regards to upgrading/development of the school, maintenance can happen any time, more noise - on weekends and school holiday period, school can be doubled up for a community group on weekends, children use school play area on weekends....

When we sold I thought there would be an impact on the value of the property, this was not the case, however the market shrinks because not all buyers want to live near, next to a school

MTR:)

Ko Ko Naing and SerenityNow like this.