NSW Newcastle Vs Central Coast

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mayjong, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I am a bit surprised !! Having a lot to do with those areas in the past few years I have seen these areas go way over value price.
    For example houses in Charmhaven all sold over 400k, go back to 2010 and they were in the late 200's.
    Have a look at Lake Haven area 2010 and tell me now the difference.
    Your right before that though on the Northern part where say 2003 to 2011 many houses in San Remo Mannering Park Lake Munmorah remained stagnate.
    I think they will now go up quickly as they are doing because Sydney is overpriced as is the Southern Part of the Central Coast so easy access to Freeway from the Northern part attracts Sydney families.

2. CherryPro

CherryPro Member

We bought in the Morisset peninsula in the beautiful Lake Macquarie area early last year and have seen prices steadily rise since. Four of our friends have since bought in the area all with the view of retiring there over the next 10 -1 5 years.

I see better value there as not as expensive as compared to the CC as not as far as Newy.

3. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Hi Cherrypro, i remember my parents bought in Mirabooka back in 1981, i think they paid $36,500 at the time, but we ended up selling due to no transport.
    Morriset is quite good but really never gone ahead despite having the Psychiatric hospital there.

4. Mayjong

Mayjong Active Member

IMO lack of fast and reliable transport and lack of well paying jobs in CC is hampering price growth there. Ofcourse values will continue to rise on and about inflation but to me it lacks the dynamics to outperform in the medium term.

Chilliblue likes this.
  5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

And this is its problem. As I stated earlier, this current and past State Governments are pushing infrastructure and resources west, south west and north west at the expense of other location.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

So what's the conclusion as to buying in CC and Newie? Obviously there are good and not so good areas within these 2 but overall, it's still uncertain as to the development of infrastructure and plans.

7. Mayjong

Mayjong Active Member

There is some amount of certainty with what's planned for Newy with the whole revitalisation. Plus with good local employment opportunities I would put my money on Newy.

I fail to understand why NSW can't develop a world class regional city like QLD has with Gold Coast.

8. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

That's because it's cheaper to do it through those areas than have the expense of going through the Hawkesbury River area, with large mountains, rivers and narrow passes.

It's one of the the best features about the train ride north from Sydney, but also one of the main contributors to lack of speed.

I think Newcastle has the real potential to play Manchester to Sydney's London, and the success of Renew Newcastle and the plans for the revitalization of the center will help that.

9. sonic98

sonic98 Member

Next to nothing on the central coast now under 300k (houses I mean, not units, villa, relocatable, retirement village etc). Even bottom of the barrel houses in Gorokan and San Remo which are very overpriced in some cases for what and where they are IMO.

10. larrylarry

That's what I'm betting on, that the Renew Newcastle campaign will be sustainable and to see good things coming out of it. I'm still not sure about Central Coast.

11. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Council is making life harder for the inner urban areas. I was on the radio yesterday about it

12. larrylarry

@AndrewTDP you spoke common sense, the not in my backyard attitude robs the community of a fantastic service.

13. larrylarry

So has anyone bought in CC and Lake Macquarie other than @Darlinghurst Boy who bought an IP in Lake Haven with cash?

14. shreko

shreko Well-Known Member

... exactly