NSW newcastle v wollongong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by matt carmen, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Mining company South32 slashes 300 Illawarra jobs

Mining company South32 has announced it is shedding at least 300 jobs (14% of local workforce) in the Wollongong region, south of Sydney.

Mr Kerr said the company had not ruled out further job losses at its Illawarra mines.

"I think we've only started the review of what we need to do at Illawarra, in terms of changing the structure and what the knock-on effects are," he said.

"It's too early to say what Illawarra looks like, because we are working through that process with the teams and the people on the ground there."

2. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Can someone with local knowledge tell me what Flinders is like? Its next to Shell Cove but prices seem to be 100 to 200k less than Shell Cove. Looks like an older area however is there any issue with low socio economic people, bad schools?

I'm talking purely for owner occupied with a family and not so much for an investor opportunity. Further more, if Shell Cove is a bit pricey, what are the 'decent family living' suburbs close by that are cheaper?

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Flinders is what Shellcove will be in 15-20 years times.

Not going to enter into the decent area comment but if it was me with a family I would keep to the Eastern side along the beach and looking at houses between Helen Street, Warilla down to Barrack Point. I would also look at properties at Oak Flats close to the lake.

4. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

Not at all - Demographics are very similar to Shellcove but it has been around for longer so you can get some older houses with better deals same goes with Blackbutt. My little cousin goes to ShellHarbour Anglican College - About Us which is a stones throw away from Flinders and seems to be a great school.

Also, as @Chilliblue said would be worth looking into Oak flats, Barrack point etc as you can find some better deals IMO.. All very similar areas and fairly close together.

You also might be interested to know about the new marina under construction in Shellharbour which is going to bring huge potential to the area.
    LFA » Shell Cove Town Centre & Marina
    MARINA ON THE MOVE: Shell Cove two years ahead of schedule

5. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Thanks @Chilliblue and @Timwest. Next question, in your opinion with the Sydney market cooling do you expect Wollongong suburbs to cool further than Sydney considering the Gong benefited from ripple of the boom? Would you wait and see a little longer?

6. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me about Haywards Bay near Albion Park? Looks like a small suburb, new houses. What's the area like and people around that area like?

7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

eventually yes but I am still getting regular calls from folks relocating down, both baby boomers and young families so the population growth doesnt appear to be slowing yet (anecdotally)

Display home village lots of pretty looking project homes but the whole place is built on coal wash. Swamp reclaimed with refuse from coal mines topped with soil and homes on top. Not my preferred location. Not putting down the people just that I wouldn't live on that soil type until it had been proven safe. Flood risk is an issue too as it is all flat and low.

8. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

9. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Took a trip down to Wollongong last weekend to seriously look around areas for buying OO sea change from Sydney. Got to say I was very disappointed with Shell Cove. Someone prove me wrong?

I may have missed something (yes we only did a drive through) but it was mass upon mass of roof tops and squeezed in houses with narrow streets, lack of parks and other open recreational areas and didn't get that vibe of being close to the beach at all. Sure the Marina might be a benefit here but personally there was no other benefit by paying $950k+ prices for a 4 bed house that I could find better designed estates in North West Sydney for close to the same price.

I haven't given up hope but I'll definitely be sticking to northern Suburbs I think.

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

If it's OO I will look for @BuyersAgent assistance or any BA who are well versed in that market.

Tekoz likes this.
  11. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Thanks. I understand however there seems to be such a lack of stock that they will probably show us what I've already seen online. Basically looking for a modern (less than 10yo) 4 bed house in a good school area close to rail for Sydney commute. Not trying to sound like a stuck up Sydney sider but the newer areas around Albion Park, Dapto, Horsley probably don't suit the socio economic area we want to look for and the decent public schools. Plus Wollongong seems to have a lot of older houses so its a bit of a struggle to find what we want.

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

What's your reason for the sea change? I think it will be beneficial to have a chat with BA. Keep an open mind.

13. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Sydney is getting too crowded. We want the more relaxed lifestyle for the kids plus hopefully cash in on capital gains we have made on our house and buy something bigger but for the same or a bit less in price.

14. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

Did you check out Kiama?

If you need to commute to Sydney everyday, perhaps suburbs North of Wollongong may be better.

Tekoz likes this.
  15. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Haven't checked Kiama yet. The 2 hour commute however could be at the very limit of what I could stand.

16. BuyersAgent

It sounds like your choices will revolve somewhat around schools - there are a few private schools also to consider but if it is just public then I suggest doing your research on these first as this will determine your location. If private of course you have more choices. Shellharbour Anglican is going ok (I am on the council for my kids who attend the 2 southern Anglican schools in Shoalhaven). I could list more schools but I won't. Opens up the southern Illawarra options and there is vast differences in the social mix on a suburb and even street basis.

there is a risk of this - occasionally BA's can work a little magic and find things pre market but I never like to promise it. Low stock is low stock.

Rich W and Propertunity like this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't get why people move all the way out there away from the hustle and bustle - and move right next to everyone else doing the same thing. Tiny yards, houses everywhere. Then you drive out of town South and it's nice again.
    Plenty of options further South with some amazing beaches, but makes it a lot harder if you still choose to work in Sydney.

Rich W likes this.
  18. BuyersAgent

@Azazel you would be the preacher and I would be the choir. I left Sydney 8 yrs ago and I can't recall any days I wished myself back there. I have clients these days moving down to Shoalhaven (ie Huskisson, Vincentia etc) saying they will telecommute and go up 1 day per week for meetings. A serious business owner I met just left sydney to move to Bawley Pt (far southern Shoalhaven) for lifestyle and shut his office but kept all his staff - they now work from home (still sydney based full time employees) so their digital firm is now totally mobile based around skype etc. I also have a few mates who do FIFO and live here as they catch a private bus up and back from Airport and their families get to love where they live every day. Its all about priorities. Think hard about what matters most, chose, wrap all the other decisions around that.

Tekoz, Allgood and ellejay like this.
  19. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Azazel, If you are a youngster, apartment living in the CBD is the way of life in the future.
    Close proximity to the work place is paramount.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep, went to the area (Booderee National Park) to camp and kayak over the Queens birthday weekend... so beautiful! Love the fine white sand at the beaches and saw a whale jumping about, putting on a show. Awesome area to escape too, great camping at Green Patch camp ground (fab showers!). :)

BuyersAgent likes this.