Newbie Subdivision Question (Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Justin_mo, 31st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Justin_mo

Justin_mo Well-Known Member

Hey All,

If I am looking at a property with a two dwellings central on the block of land and want to subdivide equally. Say land is about 1000m2 and want to split into two x 500m2 size blocks... Do I need to demolish a house that is sitting on the border, before I subdivide?

One house is right in the middle of a block of land I am looking at, and second dwelling is at the back.
    Would be good to get approvals for two townhouses. Can I apply to get approvals for the townhouses before subdividing or do you essentially subdivide and get approvals in one hit?

By the way the property I am looking to buy is in Melbourne.

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

You can get/apply for planning permits before demolition. There will be (most likely) a condition on the permit(s) requiring buildings over (future) boundaries to be removed/demolished.
    Short answer - no need to demolish as permit application is being processed, but will be required before certification/titles issued.

Also - planning application should be for subdivision and development (new houses?) in one hit - a combined application.

lixas4, The Y-man and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Are you looking to retain the houses or build new?

4. Justin_mo

Was thinking of retaining the houses and selling the property after subdivision. If I demolished and built new, or modified the existing and built one new one house, I assume this would be a bit more profitable than just a subdivision with now plans or new build.

5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Would depend on many things, but possibly subdividing the 2 properties onto separate titles and selling individually could be more profitable. Would have to get tax advice on how this would affect you etc.

Also look at comparables in the area and talk to a town planner on how much the works will cost.

Without knowing the figures of each scenario, you aren't able to accurately way up what is most profitable, and on the other hand, the most profitable route might leave you less money in your pocket due to taxes and such.

6. Paul Mete

Paul Mete Well-Known Member

Hi Justin_mo

We would expect council to insist that you demolish the existing dwelling if it is not entirely restricted to one of your lots.
    We hope we understand your question, It would be great to just subdivide on paper and cell but councils will feel that you need to be more responsible than that and actually "setup" the site with infrastructure and in this case by clearing the lots of non retained buildings. each council is different but we feel most councils will take this stance.

If dwelling retention is important we suggest subdividing in a shape that retains this but we would expect the market to reward you by presenting two vacant lots ready for construction.

Good practice would be to get all "ducks in line" and demolish as the last thing required so you could rent or reside in the dwelling.

We hope we have understood your Question
    Best of luck
    PAUL

7. Justin_mo

Thanks @Paul Mete, that makes sense.

Thanks guys for the other responses.