New windows

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Harrison, 13th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Howdy *** vent be warned....

I am quite annoyed that we ordered a thermal sliding door and new kitchen window and both look like they are seconds and all full of marks...??

So I go back to the company and let them know I am really disappointed and they say its only on the reveals where you won't see it? This isn't the case....

How can this be good enough?

We have the installer coming next week...The sliding door is a standard size but the kitchen window is custom made...

What to do!!

Attached Files:

2. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Attached Files:

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd not be happy with the dirty handmarks, but assuming these bits of timber will be painted, that wouldn't really be a problem for me.

Some of those have cracked timber and deep scratched corners which mean someone is filling, sanding and then painting. That is another thing again, and I'd not be happy having to pay someone to "repair" a new surround before just painting it.

4. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Thanks Wylie... yes I agree.

We ordered brand new windows so they shouldn't be in that state... We paid full price for them so they shouldn't need repairing or painting at all ...

Attached Files:

5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Absolutely no issues with those at all, you won't see any of that once installed.

Joynz likes this.
  6. wylie

Is any of the flat timber part going to be seen? I assumed this would be seen. We have no windows like this.

If the dirty or scratched and split bits will never be seen, I'd just move on, but if any of those timber bits have to be patched, sanded and painted because they will be seen, then I'd be annoyed at having to pay someone to do that work.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a timber window, it must be painted.

Most of what you're pointing out is concealed. The unit has been primed not painted - you have to do that once the window is installed.

Photo 7/8 is some scuffed primer, and others are a dirty track.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Ace in the Hole

Best to ask the opinion of someone who's installed 100's or 1,000's of windows for their thoughts.
    From what I can see, there's only one minor cosmetic blemish which has been zoomed in way out of proportion.
    A window is not like some ancient fragile artifact which needs to be bubble wrapped with fragile stickers all over it.
    It will likely get a ding here or scratch there during installation, it's normal for painters to prep the reveal no matter what.

Stoffo and Joynz like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've got a few with bruises from the ropes used to lift them to the second storey - it didn't help that they're 1800 * 2100h casements with fanlights...

10. wylie

Fair enough. The photo of the cracked, jagged bit of timber, and the corner with a chunk missing would be the things that I'd hate to have to pay a painter to fix.

What you don't see doesn't matter, but to pay full price for something that you have to pay a painter to "fix" would annoy the crap out of me.

11. Ace in the Hole

All hidden by the architraves.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. wylie

Then I'd not worry about it. What are the bits that are stapled?

13. Ace in the Hole

It's a fin which allows the aluminium frame to be attached to the timber reveal.
    It will be hidden in the wall cavity between external brickwork/cladding and internal architraves.

wylie likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

As others have pointed out, the outside of the window reveal will be hidden inside the walls and by the architraves.

It doesn't matter if they have marks!

Tradies move this sort of stuff with dirty hands, or the reveals get stapled after being stacked on the floor. It doesn’t matter. On building sites, windows are often stacked outside in the rain.

Lots of this stuff is never seen by people who haven't visited a building site. The site is cleaned up before handover so the owner never sees it. So what is pretty normal, can be confronting to a non builder. However, the reveals are not structural, they are just there to cover the hole in the walls.

However, if the paint is scratched on the actual window frames, that is another matter...

Are the window frames uPVC or aluminum? Because these types of windows often come with a protective film on the frames.

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2017
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Everything is pretty much "normal"
    With the exception of the sliding door, if those marks dont clean off and have chips/scratched aluminum then yes, as per @Joynz post, not good..

Everything is price sensitive these days, the transport carrier is probably being screwed by the manufacturer and he in turn by the aluminium/timber suppliers and so on.......

Want it done right, need to do it yourself ;)

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You would be totally horrified at what happens at some volume built homes.......
    (457 visa idiots learning plastering from youtube whilst living in the unfinished house and using the new bath at a toilet)
    [Wages are down and profits are up ]

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

...and here I was thinking it was a replacement for Windows 10. :oops:

The Y-man