New tenancies, vetting applications

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Hebro, 6th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

You can't evict them for not paying as step one. Secondly you would need an order from your local xCAT or similar.

Can't see that happening to rapidly.

2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Ah you’re talking about resi? Commercial lock up in 14 days.

3. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

And rent it out to who exactly? I would not want a commercial lot vacant right now. Much more than resedential. Seems like a lose lose strategy that one.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If tenants aren't paying rent, what does it matter. Better to be empty. Less wear and tear.

Edit: And I say that because of the way the commercial tenants being discussed in this specific case seem to be rather bossy.

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2020
  5. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

If they aren't paying rent it is because they likely do not have an income. No one will take out a commercial lease while in a shutdown. At least existing tenant has a chance of starting back up at some point.

If they have no income then they won't be operating and adding to wear and tear anyway.

I don't see any logical game theory outcome (disregarding the personal impact for a second) where kicking out a current commercial tenant will help in most cases right now.

This is exactly why they are putting new rules in temporarily. Not only does that behaviour kill the business... But stops other for good and the employees who work for it.

I would have know sympathy for any landlord who took this rather cynical path and went the next 2 years vacant.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've added to my post, but maybe if the tenants asked nicely instead of demanding, they'd get a better hearing?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Unless you are only renting for a week you dont have to ask for a weekly rent. In Victoria you can ask for the full term of the rent in advance. I often ask for all the rent in advance on a 2 or 3 month trial lease . Got nothing to do with poor behavior , they can go some where else if they like, some times they do, than come back. Many ask if they can pay in advance because that is what they prefer they are from cultures that dont use or trust banks and get nervous holding large amounts of cash even had a Pakistani Dr who didnt know how to make direct deposit. I think it is appalling behaviour letting a house sit empty and not let somebody in need use it.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Don't forget that if you leave it empty and don't seek a tenant that you are not able to claim any deductions.

adprom likes this.
  9. Omnidragon

I’d rather have it vacant than no rent.

If I’m vacant I may be able to find someone, even for $50/week. Why not? That’s extra $50 I wouldn’t have. I could go there and run it myself. Why not. Free money.

And I could position myself for a better tenant when the recovery comes than have a guy who has a history of not paying.

Besides, it’s a free market. I like it vacant. What’s wrong with that? I could have a house party there with 2 people and keep 1.5m distance. As I always say, leave the worrying about whether I can find a tenant to me. Don’t you worry whether I can find someone lol. If I’ve paid for the land it’s up to me how I want to use it when my tenant is in default.

That’s why you’re not the landlord, because you don’t think like one.

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2020
    Paws of Fury and Codie like this.
  10. Omnidragon

Adprom is just here to rile up landlords, hence he or she selectively quotes the law and only joined a few days ago. But I have fun explaining to lefties about free markets all the time, something modern young people have problems understanding.

11. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

Hold up - this started as a post about residential tenancies and you wanted to change the topic to commercial at the last minute. This isn't misquoting the law - you just don't get to move the goalposts mid flight and claim a miss.

12. Omnidragon

Fair enough. Out of curiosity are you paying your rent in April?

13. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

What rent? However, I will pay my Owners Corporation fees which are due.

14. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

I believe QCAT is closed for winter - so difficult to get an eviction order.

adprom likes this.
  15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

16. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

17. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

upload_2020-4-8_14-56-26.png
    upload_2020-4-8_14-56-36.png

HUGH72 likes this.
  18. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comprehensive list Michael - doesn't leave much that is not urgent.

19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

To answer the earlier question, we've seen a HUGE reduction in enquiry across SEQ. Up to 80% based on market prices from a month ago. This has translated into reductions from 5-20%(!) in order to maintain reasonable enquiry levels.

This is despite marketing efforts such as Premiere/Gold REA/Domain Ads, Pro photos, video walkthroughs, floorplans, DAILY viewings and the rest...!

That said, I don't think this thing is about to turn around and I'm confident that it would be folly to leave the house vacant on purpose. You and your Property Manager would have to be seriously negligent to pick up someone who moved in and didn't pay rent for six months.

20. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

upload_2020-4-11_14-26-30.png
    upload_2020-4-11_14-26-37.png