VIC New rent arrears in VIC

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ronen, 2nd Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Talking about tenants taking advantage of the new rules in VIC, I'm trying to get my head around the new stupid "4 times a year, 14 days late rent" rule.

Lets assume that the contract specify payment on the 1st of each calendar month, the Notice to vacate can only be issued after 14 days of rent arrears specifying they have 14 days to leave or pay.
    If they pay within those 14 days (aka up to 28 days from the original payment date), the notice is invalid but count as a "strike".
    But, how do we strike them on the first 14 days? Breach them? Would that be the "count" of "you missed paying on time 3 times this year"?

AxeLy likes this.
  2. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

As discussed in detail on the latest property couch podcast (01/04) - the legislation and instructions from CAV aren’t consistent.
    So I doubt anybody can answer this with confidence as yet. :(

AxeLy likes this.
  3. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Awesome....
    As far as I could read the new regulations, the tenants has 3 times a year to be up to 27 days late and there's nothing a LL can do.

And since bond is not limited to 1 month rent, so much for the security.

Well, I know what I'm doing when my risk for my investment increases.
    I'm not sure the tenants are going to like it tho.
    They will pay for all the bad LLs and tenants out there. Good on the government. Job well done.

Hurri, AxeLy and craigc like this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice