New property - something to be concerned about?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by eclr35, 18th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eclr35

eclr35 New Member

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase my first PPOR which is a newly developed townhouse where the carpark is subterranean.

Whilst the townhouse appears to be of fairly good quality, I am concerned about some of the cracking which has appeared in columns in the basement. I have been assured that they have been patched/repaired to Australian standards / BCA.

Is this something to be concerned about or is this now the norm for most developments?

I have uploaded a few photos.
    Imgur

Appreciate any input and experience in this matter.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Or might a building report b wise? This seems a levy issue. What else can't you see? What BCA rule covers patching a structural defect with render?

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Cracking ????
    Ok, it is a bit hard to tell by the pics but I don't see any cracking :confused:
    Were you hoping it would look like the inside of the apartment ?
    This looks normal, it is from when the concrete is poured into the formwork and isn't visable, caused by the cement being a little dry when being poured, any area's left boney like this are usually rendered over and painted (but the level of finish is rarely done to underground carparks).
    This doesn't appear to be structural, only cosmetic :cool:

*The water / cement ratio affects the concrete’s workability, setting time, strength and durability. Too wet and it loses strength, too dry and it won't bond properly.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like great workmanship. Likely not a structural issue as most things are quite over designed, but I'd probably get a building assessor in.

Sackie likes this.