House & Home New mattress recommendations?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jacque, 17th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

It's that time again- upgrading a queen mattress in our house and it's so overwhelming out there with showrooms galore, comm-based slick salespeople, insufficient time to mattress-test properly (I mean, let's face it who wants to actually lie on a showroom one for more than 5 mins?! :D) etc etc
    Would love to hear reviews from recent purchasers- looking to spend max $1K.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I have a bed in my Airbnb pad that people often comment on - because it's good, not because it's lousy.
    It's a Posture Practic Spinal Care - medium.

3. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Best way to get a good mattress for cheap is to buy the hardest cheap mattress you can. And then spend $250-$300 on a latex/memory foam pillow topper that goes over that mattress thus making it soft.

When it wears out replace the topper

Kis Kis and vbplease like this.
  4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@Jacque - we bought from Snooze for mum. Madison. It's good. But their service was shocking. Never ever going back. Myer actually has a EOFY sale and for other mattresses we managed to get 50% off and then 10% off..

Edit: 1k is lower end budget for queen it feels...

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Aparently there's a big markup for mattresses- my wife did well by bargaining an already "reduced" price.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have an Ikea mattress and our sons had them too. I believe there is a period of time during which you can return them if they don't feel comfortable. Possibly other retailers have a similar deal.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There is a 'new' mattress called the Koala mattress and you can return it if you don't like it. Supposed to be great - I have no idea but I'd love to know someone that has one

http://www.koalamattress.com.au/

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what about a water bed?
    that's a joke, why anyone would sleep on these no idea, mind you I think these were popular in the 80s most were high on drugs:p

10. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Thanks all and yes @Westminster this site (and the mattresses) look good and decently priced. Love the 120 day money back guarantee too- might just try it and let you know what I think!
    Also love that they sponsor a real live koala for every mattress that you buy- nice touch and giving something back too.

Westminster likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I like either pocket spring mattresses or natural latex.

I also bought a latex mattress topper from Ikea - their most expensive at about $300 ten years ago and it makes my old- style latex mattress really comfy.

I prefer latex over memory foam as I have heard memory foam can be very hot. Real latex is a natural product, and a renewable product tapped from trees.

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking that was the boomerang mattress.

Jacque likes this.
  13. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I bought it couple of months ago. Very happy with our

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you could try it out for me that would be great @Jacque - you can probably use the 4hr delivery thing too!
    No such luck for me in Perth but I can still buy them.
    There is always a discount code available to get $100 off or something

15. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ive slept for 4 days or so on a koala mattress, for the money it's definitely worth it. there are 3 companies working off a similar model in australia which essentially copies the Casper model in America.

personally I bought a mattress for myself recently from a company in Claremont that makes them locally. you have to allow up to 30 mins to test the options out, they can make it in up to 16 or so different combos and can make 2 sides ones for those who have partners that like different kinds of bases.

the one I got is pretty damn awesome, paid just under 3k I think

16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I had a water bed for 20 years. Best bed I've ever had, extremely comfortable, it contoured to my body precisely, the heater in it was wonderful in winter and in summer it was cool some people pUT ice blocks in them in summer. The only negative was sex required a more effort.

MTR likes this.
  17. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just wondering, does anybody know where I can get a decent and well priced trundle bed mattress (length ~180cm, height to max 15cm), it would need to be for a home in Sydney.

19. devank

devank Well-Known Member

neK, LibGS, JenW and 1 other person like this.
  20. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

I will happily admit to being a premium mattress snob. I usually shop for cheap with most everyday things I buy (including cars) but never for mattresses, footwear and desktop monitors.

Considering we should spend almost one third of lives sleeping why not go for the best? You (and your back) deserve it, and they last for years. About five years ago we got a top-of-the-range plush from (Australian made) Sealy at Myer at their 40% off sale and was one of the best family decisions we have made. Still cost a few thousand even then, but my goodness its fabulous. It’s the one over-spend I will never regret – like sleeping on a cloud.

The downside is whenever we stay at good hotels or holiday apartments the standard pillowtops just don’t cut it anymore, and I have trouble getting to sleep. We have been spoiled and can’t go back to the level most people are happy with! So I’ll keep driving my sub-optimal car (with wind down windows) and instead invest in great mattresses as my personal indulgence and secret to happiness.

So loosen the purse strings Jacque – you won’t regret it IMHO.

Brian84, LibGS, Joynz and 1 other person like this.