New job after recieving home loan approval

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Speck1, 25th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Speck1

Speck1 Well-Known Member

Hi All.

I find out in three or so weeks if my home loan application has been approved.
    I currently work at a job and have done so for 4 years which is 80k a year.

In about a month (after finding out if approved) i may have an option of a new job, but it is slightly less per annum and via contract (which banks dont like).

Do I have to notify the bank or will my approval be in question after resigning?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes. It's a bad idea to change jobs mid-house search as it can & will affect your finance pre-approval.

3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

It could be an issue. Lower income, change of employment type cause concerns. Some lenders do employment check before settlement, :(

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Technically - yes.

They based their assessment on your current financial situation. Any changes to your situation may alter your ability to meet your ongoing liabilities.

Agree with Prop above - it's rarely a good idea to change jobs when applying for a loan.

Cheers

Jamie

5. Speck1

Speck1 Well-Known Member

Damn, thought so!

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Ideally avoid resigning from your job until settlement. If that can't be helped, at least wait until the loan is unconditionally approved.

There are a couple of lenders that are quite generous about minimum employment periods and employment changes, but the drop in income means relying on this would be very risky.

7. LaoBan

LaoBan Well-Known Member

I have heard that most lenders do employment check up to the day of settlement even after unconditional approval, especially during the height of pandemic last year.
    Is this still case at the moment? Any particular lenders still perform this check after unconditional approval issued?
    I assume this check is taken randomly or high-risk borrowers eg casual, part timers, lvi > 80% etc?

For common payg employees, usually there is 4 week notice period, i.e. can only leave 4 weeks after the resignation is given.
    If the 4 wk notice is given, so that starting a new job the next day after settlement, would that still be an issue/risk?
    The only risk I can think of is iff the lender calls employer and somehow employer tells lender that the borrower/employee has resigned, even though still employed. How likely is this?

Currently have preapproval with st george and boq. Settling on a property (80pct lvr), and there's an opportunity on the table to move from base payg to payg contractor (where a recruitment agency pays me and i work for a client) for 12 month contract with much higher income. Doing the same type of work and been doing the same for more than a decade without any breaks in employment.

Would this be a risky move still?
    Anyone has any insights on what lenders policy in this scenario, esp. st george and boq?
    Which lenders will be ok with this situation?

Thanks

Last edited: 2nd May, 2021
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It never was the case.
    some might have done random checks after approval and before settlement.

Still a risky move to resign, I would be waiting myself.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Which lenders? Curious

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

BOQ and STG tend not to make specific employment checks at an 80 % lve after formal approval, or even before.

Low risk, but not nil, I have had lenders make calls to employers right up until formal approval, that being the last thing they usually do.

One can not rely on policy in regards to something like this because if an assessor makes a call because they feel they need to, and is told you have resigned you are toast.

I guess thats why you have 2 preapps in play, which isnt unusual, but could in and of itself cause an assessor to make such a call.

ta

rolf

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What about the Big 4??

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

No lender has a policy that prohibits their credit people to make further enquiries on income security.

Just prudent risk management on behalf of a lender

ta
    rolf

Terry_w, 27269 and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thx Rolf
    Its quite an eye opener, never realised this. I thought once loan formally approved its done and dusted

14. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've had a few lenders do employment checks prior to settlement. It tends to be random, no specific policies.

In one case, the borrower had changed jobs. The loan still proceeded on the basis it was an 80% LVR and he resigned after the unconditional was issued.

MTR likes this.
  15. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

You'd want to be upfront about it incase you get hit up on it.

If you want to redo it properly you'd want to answer the following with a professional as it may not affect the outcome of what you want to achieve.

- borrowing more then 80% or not?
    - how long is the contract ?
    - same line of work?
    - obtain 2 payslips
    - does the lower income actually affects the borrowing amount you need.

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
    MTR likes this.