new house where to start?

Discussion in 'Development' started by yamahamoto, 24th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

My apologies if there is already a thread on this -> please point me to an existing one if there is one.

My parents and my uncle want to buy a piece of land and build a 2 townhouses on it. We have found a burnt down house advertised for sale ready to be demolished.
    Can you please tell me whats the step for paper works from here? As the house advertised is burnt down demolishing is given.

Once the house is demolished where do we start? Do we apply for a permit to build townhouses 1st? Then apply for subdivision? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The local council will be the place to start.

Do you have a plan B in case they say "No"?

The Y-man

3. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

They havent bought the property yet. There are same developments right across the street so it didnt occur to me that the council may reject it. Do we apply for permit before buying the property? or do we put it in the contract condition?

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You could have the same development next door, and yours could still be rejected. Whenever I'm serious about acquiring a site I'll always engage a good town planner to assess the site and likely possibilities. Talking to council is fine but not essential imo. I've spoken to many clueless council workers as well as many who have tried to dissuade me from developing there using scare tactics. Nowadays I go straight to a town planner if I know the site is 'roughly' appropriate for what I want.

You can always purchase subject to DA approval but vendors who agree to this are far and few between,

5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Good advice from Sackie.
    Talk to a (good) town planner first. Some offer free initial consultation (we do) that will get you started.
    You could offer to buy subject to a planning permit, but most vendors don't accept this nowadays and the process is long and uncertain

The Y-man likes this.
  6. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

Thank you for your response. I will find a town planner and speak to them.