Entertainment & Music New hobbies in the Corona lockdown period

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 6th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

They were sold at Bunnings but I think its sold out. You can buy from online sellers though and it looks like the price jumped during the last week.
    This seems to be a reasonable option though:

Slackers 30' Ninjaline Intro Kit | Macpac

Ninja slackline
    Btw, the line can also be used as a slackline.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2020
    KateSydney likes this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I took my wife for a walk in a local park for exercise twice over Easter.

She says I definitely need a dog;)

SeafordSunshine, Angel and KateSydney like this.
  5. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

Not a new hobby, but taking the time to catch up on editing photos from trips over the last couple of years. Thousands left to go o_O

wylie and Sackie like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

OK yep all good.

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Love it !!

8. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I am trying (again) to grow some herbs and established the small herb garden on the weekend. :)

9. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

By the way that is not really hobby, but posting it on this thread anyay. Has anyone here thought to take some of the short University cources that Government promise to fund? If my job gets impacted, I was planning to go out of my comfort zone and study something completely different.

10. Gockie

I personally was thinking of French classes at a local community college - delivered via Zoom

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It depends on what you're doing now. There are a lot of TAFE courses which you can do which are related to a career, starting at six months. Many of them can also be studied online. They cost, but depending on your circumstances and state, may be subsidised heavily.

12. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Got back into piano last week after 40 year break (got to 6th grade as a kid). Using my sons electronic keyboard. Picked up Für Elise again in a couple of hours, now working on a Boogie Woogie piece. Amazing how that stuff sits in the back of your mind for so long waiting to be awakened. Also improving my Spanish watching more TV than usual.

KateSydney likes this.
  13. Gockie

I started riding my push bike and I discovered yesterday I can coast no handed up to about a kilometre. I think Unicycling is why I picked up how to do it really quickly (like in 20 minutes) :)

Unicycling is really coming along too - I can now idle around 20 times on one side.
    Idling isn’t an easy skill, it’s rather deceptive. Riding isn’t so hard.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2020
  14. geoffw

I thought it was interesting to read the link you posted recently to a local TV station. While I speak a little Spanish, I had previously had no knowledge of Catalan. It enjoyed reading up on it. Is Catalan widely spoken to the exclusion of Spanish?

15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes Catalan is the national language of Catalonia, of which Barcelona is the Capital. 98% of Barcelona locals can speak Spanish as well, but that number is much lower in the countryside. Maybe about half of conversations you hear around town are Catalan. Immigrants of course tend to speak Spanish more. Most things are in both languages but Catalan is always first. Some Pyrenean Catalan towns I have been in have very little Spanish. Catalan is a very old language (older than Spanish) with roots in Italian/Latin, but a lot of it sounds like French or Spanish. My Swiss-French friends who visited could understand most of it, but the Spanish can´t. I consider Catalonia a different country to Spain, as much as Portugal is a different country.

I tried to learn it for a while in a course, but I gave up (it´s hard) and just stick to the basic Catalan phrases for communicating, and Spanish for more complex stuff. I did score better than the South Americans in the exam though. People are pretty impressed when I spew a bit of Catalan, but sometimes that backfires when it turns out I´m speaking to a Spanish person !
    It´s my sons first language so they have a secret language from me. Their second language is Spanish, English third. Their school speaks both but Catalan is the main teaching language.

17. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

I love the sound of Catalan - sometimes I listen to it on Youtube because I imagine myself to be in the presence of my favourite fictional character, Stephen Maturin!

Casteller likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Was Catalan also used in the Ballroom Dancing movie by the Paul Mercurio's partner's family? Or the Gypsy Kings (singers)?

19. geoffw

The movie was Strictly Ballroom, and I believe that the language was Spanish rather than Catalan.

KateSydney and Scott No Mates like this.
  20. Gockie

I bit the bullet and enrolled in Beginners French offered via Zoom by the Parramatta college. The 25% discount offering along with the early bird rate was too good to pass up.
    Hopefully I’ll actually go to France next year. D5FD2F94-2586-471C-BD23-A3A28684EB44.png

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2020