New First Homeowner - QLD or WA

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Klee, 21st Apr, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Klee

Klee New Member

Hi all

I lived in WA for a few months, then went to QLD fir work for 2 years, and now back in WA. Long term I pref to be based in WA. But now I am considering taking advantage of the much bigger first homeowners grant in QLD.

I only have a max $200k for borrowing capacity. Absolutely love the country so happy to get rural. Can only get land and build new (will do cheap modular) or major fix-up of old house for the grant.

I still don't know where to get in QLD or WA. If in QLD, will hold the property only for max a year. I looked at areas with good growth but apparently that is not enough. I know I need to look at incoming infrastructure. So a good growth now may not be good if there isn't incoming infrastructure, good rainfall, employment opportunities? Does this apply even if the hold is just a year?

I also lack local knowledge. Where (rural) would be good to get in that has good rainfall, or access to water source, good growth, two hours away from an airport and possibly good cash flow in the future? Should I buy in QLD or WA?

2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

3. Klee

Klee New Member

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes! They are all dry areas - I don’t know Beverley though. It has been a very dry and warm April though compared to usual.

5. Klee

Klee New Member

I wanted to look at Beverley but then a friend's husband mentioned it was a drug town. And upon research, it looks like that!

Propin likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The purchase and selling costs would make holding for just one year rather pointless, or am I missing something?

craigc and Propin like this.