NSW New duplex with leakage issue

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Lolcoffee, 27th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lolcoffee

Lolcoffee Member

Hi all,

First time poster here.

We’re first time buyer so turning for advice from you folks who’ve dealt with property trade for much longer.

We’re buying one side of a newly built duplex, in the right location and for the right price for us, so we’re very excited. We’re still in the cooling off period. There’s just few problems:

• the property report done on a fine day, but after the week long rain, exposed high wall humidity (40%). There’s also some wet walls in the subfloor and under the stairs above garage. The inspector said it’s due to the waterproofing coat failing and the flat concrete roof, the moisture gets inside all the walls.
    • The building inspector told us it’ll cost 200k+ to resolve all the major issue for both sides of the duplex if it requires re-roofing the flat roof. they haven’t spoken to the owner yet (the owner is Owner-builder)
    • Owner seems to be very confident replacing the waterproof membrane would resolve the leakage problem. He also mentioned “the work isn’t finished yet”. The membrane he used wasn’t UV stable and hence has bubbled and ripped in some place in the roof.

I must add that the fact that although the owner is very passionate about his work, he kept talking over us and I don’t think he’s actually listening to our concern. We’ll have to deal with him for the next 5 years for any warranty claims. This adds another red flag for us.

Are these common and are we worrying over nothing?

Part of me wanted to get off the property market since it’s been exhausting, but I’m also afraid of making a bad call for our life savings.

Any input is welcome, and thanks in advance!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not common, run.

If you have discovered waterproofing issues now they are unlikely to be resolved quickly - they should have built it properly or rectified before marketing.

If you're still keen, negotiate a $500k reduction.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would walk away from this one.

4. Kr@mer

Kr@mer Well-Known Member

What area is it?
    Definitely use caution

5. Lolcoffee

Lolcoffee Member

It’s in Allawah.

6. Lolcoffee

Lolcoffee Member

Yeah they’re basically selling a property before it’s finished.

i doubt they wanna reduce, they’ve already asked for more than they listed, citing the market is not.