Cars & Motorbikes 'New' [built 2014] car

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tony3008, 22nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Can't comment on the sale but the variable transmission isn't pleasant. Make sure you take it for a long drive in start stop traffic.

3. Tony3008

I've booked a Flexicar X-Trail for 24 hours this week so will be able to test it in all sorts of driving. I've had several CVT transmission cars over the years (back to a rubber band DAF in the 1970s) and I prefer the seamlessness of this sort of transmission.

4. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree. In stop-start traffic, the CVT is just as horrible as a DSG (in most VW group vehicles, the Ford Focus and quite a handful of other cars), while being far more refined during acceleration and always having the right gear ratio for the engine torque and vehicle dynamics of the moment.

A traditional auto with a torque converter is always going to be the best option in stop-start traffic. I'm not criticizing the CVT, it is a great gearbox and quite amazing that Nissan has been able to make it as durable and reliable as history has proven.

Sure, the CVT is more 'lazy' than a decent DSG and a lot more boring than a 3 pedal unit but we're talking about an X-Trail, to an enthusiast, it's the epitome of uninspiring, bland and boring motoring, however it's extremely reliable and the design is very well thought out.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Although never registered it is still a year old. What are 'year old' Xtrails selling for?

serendip likes this.
  6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Also how much are 2015 built new cars going for? If later wanting to sell a car, a built and registered year impacts on re-selling value. A year newer car price is always higher even if Kms are same or even little bit more than a year older car in used cars market. However if you pay a lower price now, you might be into a winner.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

spludgey, wylie and Bayview like this.
  8. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Lizzie, stop being an experienced, sensible and financially disciplined pain the derriere.

How are folks supposed to make bad financial decisions with you around?? :D

9. Tony3008

Well my last seven cars have been bought new (OK the current one was a demonstrator). Financially it might be a bad decision, but for myself I'd rather spend the money and have several years of no-hassle motoring - it's an extraordinary change from my younger days that not one of my new cars needed any warranty work. I can see though that you think I should buy something whose tyres will soon need replacing :)

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You must've had a run of bad luck in your old days.

My last two cars were both 2 years old and 30k on the clock when I bought them. Had each for around 10 years (still got the current one) with nothing more required than the usual servicing and tyres ... one was even an ex-rental ... but that's what you get when you buy Toyotas ;-)

11. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

It's not just that - modern cars are extremely reliable. Computers, electronics, self-diagnostics and modern metallurgy and materials make it very difficult to make unreliable and planned obscolescent cars. Also, Hyundai and Kia are the next two "Toyota's" when it comes to reliability and quality.

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2015
    Bayview likes this.
  12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

No offense intended.

One of my golfing mates is a builder who only buys brand new work utes, and trades them in every 3 years religiously.

Maximises depreciation. It is possibly a better strategy for a business owner who can claim the vehicle. His repayments are much higher though; 3 years and brand new, as opposed to 5 year loan and 2 or 3 year old second hand with very low km's (which is what our current car is through our business) - so he has to work more to come up with the money for his loan than I do for mine.

All we are saying is that a 2 year old version of the new cars these days is still very close to new, and still very safe (as safe as a can ever be, I guess) so this might be a better option for a private owner; given the relatively new condition, plus the $10k or so saving.

And there are those family hols to consider. ;)

13. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I've never driven an X-trail but I drove a Dualis hire car last year whilst in Brisbane and found the CVT to be downright dangerous - it had no response whatsoever below 40km/h as the thing just would not rev. Must be a CVT "feature" as I found a similar thing back in 2012 when we were shopping for my wife's new car and had the displeasure of test driving a Mitsubishi Outlander with CVT - it barely made it up a hill because again it wouldn't rev. The salesman told me people want good fuel economy, I said I just want to make it up the hill.