New 'Babysitter marketplace' service - how to protect from liability?

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by FinnMcCool, 13th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 158

158 Well-Known Member

If you are interviewing all the babysitters, then really, there is no need for the app and you might as well be an agency. Its a complete contradiction of what the app is supposed to do - connect people without the interference of human interaction between all parties. Also really only limits you to a small area where you live, possibly the whole of Melbourne IF you did the interviewing and background checks etc all the time while gallivanting around the city.

And the point of difference being 'a friend of a friend and not a total stranger' would be a very loose 'uniqueness' of the service. I think you should put a bit more thought into this area so you are not like your competitors. What is going to give you the edge over the big players?

pinkboy

2. FinnMcCool

FinnMcCool Active Member

I'd have to look at other options, such as hiring or partnering with people to do the verification, or perhaps open region by region and try and line up all interviews on the same day/few days. You're right, it is starting to defeat the purpose...

Again - there are plenty of babysitters being found and used on Gumtree, Facebook, flyers at the local supermarket and so on with zero checks, interviews or insurance.

Oh no! I thought this is a great feature, I've had lots of positive feedback on it. No one else is doing this. What do others think?

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

There are waivers on practically every product and service. Doesn't stop businesses from getting sued. It's even worse when it comes to minors as they are not in a position to understand and accept the waiver.

What you need to do is speak to a broker who deals with public liability insurance. They will ask you a bunch of questions, be very specific with what it is you are doing and how you are doing it. If you can't get a policy, walk away.

FinnMcCool likes this.