New and wanting some education!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by The Sparky Investor, 2nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Sparky Investor

The Sparky Investor Well-Known Member

Hi there!

I'm 20 years old (Turning 21 this month). Living in Perth with my girlfriend, currently doing an electrical apprenticeship and working a second job at a paintball centre.

Over the last six or so months I have been both reading books and listening to podcasts. I would read from authors such as Margaret Lomas, Steve McKnight (Currently reading a few of his books), And much more!
    I listen to podcasts like Real Estate Talk, The Smart Property Investment Show, On Property, and my favourite, The Property Couch!

I was hoping to get as much education sources as possible from this first post (and many more to come I'm sure) in whatever form possible! (books, podcasts, news articles, ETC). I will also be on this site very often to gain knowledge and hear the stories of everyone else.

Could everyone reading this post please suggest any and all of the learning resources they know of other then this site. Anything and everything is much appreciated!

Thank you all very much. :)

Sackie, House and Gockie like this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Study resources on business and sales skills so that when you finish your electrical apprenticeship, you can be ready to start your own biz.
    So much more money can be made in business than property investing in the accumulation phase, although together is an even better combination.

Gockie likes this.
  3. The Sparky Investor

Thank you.
    That is a thought that has never occurred to me! I do plan on doing a lot on becoming a mortgage broker and maybe going down that track.
    Any suggestions before I go head first into the deep end?

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hmmm... You're doing an Electrical apprenticeship, why not stick to that as a self employed Electrician?

5. House

House Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've got your head very much screwed on if you're educating yourself with those kinds of books and podcast at 20, good on ya!

Great book list here and podcast recommendations here.

Definitely recommend what the guys above have suggested and start your own business. There's a few tradies interviewed on SPI- The Smart Property Investment Show: your independent guide to Australian property investing by Smart Property Investment: about property investing, by property investors on iTunes

Replace wasting time on Facebook and Insta with this site and you'll do even better :)

Also start looking for like minded people in real life (keep an eye out for the Events and Meetups thread- WA - Perth Meet-up - Sunday 17th April in Mandurah) and joining a website like Meet Up is a good idea (although be careful as I've found a lot of them were created by sly spruikers!)

Sackie and The Sparky Investor like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi Jack
    Welcome
    You will be very rich by 40. :)

The Sparky Investor likes this.
  7. The Sparky Investor

I'm halfway through my second year now and I do plan on staying in the trade for a bit after I finish my apprenticeship. But I can picture myself happier and earing more money in the long run as a mortgage broker.

8. The Sparky Investor

Thank you for all of this information, I'll look into all of it!
    Yes getting off Facebook and doing something more productive was my goal. It's one of the reasons I went searching for a property forum and eventually found this one. ☺

Gockie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Welcome @JackKeily.

Its very refreshing to see someone start young and in the most logical way - to learn some stuff first before jumping into millions of debt. The authors you mentioned for property knowledge are good. Personally I would also add some books on negotiation/persuasion and mindset development. You'll be unstoppable then for whatever you want to achieve.

Good luck mate.

bob shovel likes this.