Entertainment & Music Netflix - Who's into it?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bbmick, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's pretty much how I envision spending my 50's - travelling the world eating weird stuff and drinking lots :)

Cheers

Jamie

2. Egga

Egga Active Member

Yep, love the docos about the bloke that goes on a juice diet, wife has the suits bug.

3. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

dont think its on netflix au but started watchin wayward pines and loving it

4. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

No it's not, but I'm watching it via another site and I'm hooked - pity we have to wait week to week.

While I'm waiting for the next episode, we've got stuck into Ophan Black (on Netflix). Got us hooked good & proper - had to watch 7 eps in a row until 1am this morning :eek:

Scared to start it up again - not sure I can stop the missus from watching :rolleyes:

BTW - Orphan Black seems to be available in Oz or UK Netflix but not USA, so you'll have to make sure your settings are right ;)

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2015
  5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

How do you get to watch these shows? Do you have to sign up for netflix on the US website using a VPN? I've got an account, but I'm assuming if I simply get a VPN and set it to a US IP, it won't work?

6. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

"Do you have to sign up for netflix on the US website using a VPN?"
    NO. You can use your OZ account as such. (actually, I'm not really sure there's a seperate "site" for each country)

"I've got an account, but I'm assuming if I simply get a VPN and set it to a US IP, it won't work?"
    It certainly should work in your case :D
    Netflix basically works like a worldwide site, so you can use it anywhere in the world (with the one account) - especially useful if you happen to travel a lot. The only thing is, that you can only access content that are are physically in, so therefore the requirement to pretend you are somewhere else. This is where using a VPN or a Smart DNS service comes in. Just change your region & a whole lot of different content is displayed to you when you log in.

You might then ask, should I use VPN or Smart DNS?
    These two systems are very different & you should consider how you are going to use Netflix in your household & on what devices and what type of security etc you wish.

Personally, I use both - and for different purposes & reasons.
    VPN will encrypt your browsing/streaming - so good to stop your ISP or Govt snooping. Especially important with the new Metadata Laws. VPN is also probably the best way to stream over your mobile. I also use it to surf the net on public wifi's such as shopping centre or macca's (and of course netflix) as they are not safe. Because VPN encrypts & info gets trasmitted thru a server between you & Netflix, it is slower, but still acceptable - but it will all depend on your connection, time of day etc.
    With VPN you will most likely only be able to use your VPN account on one device at a time - so if you have someone in the lounge using it - you cannot use it elsewhere (at same time) - you would need another acccount.
    For example, I have been logged out of my VPN coz my teen (in bedroom) logged on to watch some Netflix! Extra accounts = more dollars.

Smart DNS will not encrypt your info, so there is a speed difference. It is usually quicker to change regions & user friendly for various devices. Any devices connected to your router are covered. For example, we often have 1 x bluray player & 1 x XboxOne connected to Netflix at same time (we have a multi device account). Of course, you can have more - all on the one Smart DNS account.

Just a bit more info coming out of my brain as I write.......

I believe if you have a US Netflix account, you will not get charged GST (like is Oz), although some states in the US are now starting to introduce some type of tax.

You may not be eligible for any FREE Netflix quota that your ISP might offer you whilst using your VPN.

spludgey likes this.
  7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Thanks bbmick, it worked just fine. I must say though, the Rehab Addict show wasn't my favourite.
    Anyone know where I can find Income Property? I do like that show! Might try a Canadian VPN...

8. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

House of Cards got me into binge feeding a tv show, Kevin Spacey delivers and so does Netflix

9. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I thought Claire (Robin Wright) was awesome... Even better than Frank Underwood. Pure evil with a smile! I'll be the president if I have a wife like that :)

10. Investig8

She's tough, into threesomes with the security personnel, bossy, decisive, and gives a great cuddle with a smoke in hand.
    :D Two thumbs up for sure

11. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

I started watching the first episode & got turned off within seconds by his talking/narration to the viewer - didn't even get 2 mins into it :rolleyes:

Is there a lot of that in every episode?

12. Investig8

They balance it out, but yes his narration is a part of the show

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The narration is just a device to show things which can't be really shown efficiently by a more conventional way. In this show the duplicity is everywhere, the narration emphasises the duplicity.

14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not into it at all I like the old style ,,Just bought the dvd of Steven Van Zandt in Lilyhammer well worth the time to watch..

WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  15. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Nice one, this one looks awesome - Lilyhammer (3 seasons) added to my Netflix list :D

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks Will:)

17. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

BTW............Netflix Canada will get you 3 seasons of this show :D

18. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

So I'm half way thru season 2 of Orphan Black & it just occurred to me............that playing a half dozen (or more) characters by the lead actor (Tatiana Maslany) would be extremely hard.

Most of the characters seem to have different accents, mannerisms etc.
    It would be one thing to learn all the differents lines, but to change character as well - she's done a great job!

19. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Netflix Users
    Do you use any websites/apps to find your favourite tv shows/movies or enhance Netflix in general?

Here's a couple of sites that you might find useful to find what's available & what region.

http://beta.istreamguide.com/
    New Beta version of istreamguide's website. This is my primary site for searching of late.
    I've been using their Android App iStreamGuide-Netflix Worldwide for a while now and has proved good to find info (it does have a lot of adverts though), so will probably only use when no lappy nearby.

www.flixlist.com.au
    FlixList is a search engine for every movie and TV Show available on Netflix.
    Every title available on every version of Netflix in every country is indexed.

Anybody else have some more?

20. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

I'm also on the US version, really enjoying it.