Neighbours chickens entering property.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ian87, 15th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I read that as- Ian has a fence, but the neighbour doesn't, which is convenient seeing as it needs repairs ha! Could possibly also mean that the chickens aren't in a coop?

If the fence has a chicken sized hole in it, dare I say it might need further works, but it sounds like this might take a long while to organise if the neighbouring Landlord's aren't the cooperative type. You may need to get some wire mesh stapled over the hole for now, any other handyman issues that can be done at the same time?

2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Im thinking that the chickens dont have their own separate enclosed area , but they do have a boundary fence (that has a hole in it).
    The way it was written is causing some confusion among how people interpret it..

wylie likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Er.....flap flap flap?

They're not gracious eagles, but if they haven't had their wings clipped they can fly a little.

Enough to get over a fence.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

If they are well fed they don't bother. I can mow the lawns with mine free ranging and they run away from the mower but never even run outside the gate.

5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Not really, they are involved by default as it has highlighted an issue with the fence. If there was no hole in the fence and the tenants had some other issue with the chickens it would be an issue between two neighbours to address. Generally speaking the avenues to address this (council etc) don't distinguish between whether the resident is renting or an owner occupier, they are just a resident.

- Luke

6. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Most councils require chickens to be limited in number & kept a certain distance from boundaries, typically 1.5m or 2m.... so, this would likely be a breach by the neighbor's of council bylaws.....

I'd tell my PM to sort it out with tenant / neighbor/ council.

The issue of the fence itself being in disrepair is however a reasonable maintenance request.