neighbour wants my permission re building garage on fenceline. Other side already has the same

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by justine77, 15th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

neighbour wants my permission re building garage on fenceline.. Other side already has the same a garage built on the property line so its a bit closed in/hemmed in, as these garages and side walls go much higher than usual fences

what problems do you forsee

what questions should i ask eg re height depth brick or anything else should i at least get them equal height and length to match but it will be very hemmed in.

i measured the side existing with the garage on boundary line goes up almost 3 metres and the roof is heighter so it blocks all my view on that side
    and i really dont want my view blocked on the other side but do i really have a choice. and is this a big deal or inevitable.

its about 8,5 metres long the one there already on the other side, is that a normal size for a garage.

i was hoping in future to put a granny flat in my yard with read access to a lane. how would this affect it. will it make it darker having fences much higher on either side of it.

how will it affect my property in any way please.

it will block a certain amount of sunshine and light from my garden or future granny flat.
    i beleive it will block a certain amount of view and just feel very hemmed in and make a granny flat darker. its possibly a metre higher than a normal fence line maybe more.

is there any reason why its better for me if it was built a bit back from the fenceline

how do i know if they need an easement on my block and what this means as i saw a similar question posted years back asking this. it said something about
    do they need an easement on your block as tahts a great concern having an easement running down both sides of your yard. that some new estates have zero lots and each person has the next door neightbours easement on the non zero lot side

I have no idea what this above paragraph means. i dont know what zero lots means or what easements are.

it can mean that for any future granny flat i will lose a metre on both sides narrowing my lot and i wont be able to build on the fenceline i will have to have a setback. so i will lose 1 metre on each side of my fenceline how much of a setback would it make me have. so what should i suggest to this neighbour.

any other comments about this to consider or ask about please.

2. justine77

it wont let me edit even a few minutes later
    i want to add if it would be less high if it had a flat room rather than a sloping roof. the other one has a roof like an old house a tiled high peaked room sloping at sides which then adds even more height blocking the view and sunlight and hemming me in. what is the usual height for a garage. i beleive the one there is actually used as a granny flat.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Which state are you in?

legallyblonde likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Will that affect the overshadowing or height of the garage?

5. Gockie

I saw in Victoria building right on the border is common. Its not usual in NSW or QLD though.

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

So.... you want to build your garage flush on the boundary do you?......well then:

Paint a bulls eye on the brickwork and use it for ball practice. Also, could put a basketball hoop up for the kids to practice.

Kicking a soccer ball against the brick wall will be "music" to the ear of any tenants living in the garage come granny flat lol.

You could make some great youtube videos of the irate neighbour running over complaining and then getting hit with water balloons.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Zero lot lining is more common in some areas of Sydney too. IIRC there are some sections of Hoxton Park as well as the inner city where this is the expectation.

8. Gockie

Wow. Obviously it's common in inner city, but didnt think it happened much in Sydney suburbs. Whereas I saw it in suburban Melbourne and so I figured the rules are simply different.

9. justine77

Would it bother most people to be so hemmed in on both sides with view and sunlight blocked so much on both sides and with it trimming down a granny flat i'd want to make in future as i will lose a meter on both sides as i'd need to make setbacks if they build on fenceline.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What state are you in?

11. Scott No Mates

• Why can't your neighbour build on the other side of the block?
    • If you put your granny flat in, do you need to have a setback or can you zero lot line too ie have a side without windows/have your own garage/carport on the other side also zero lot lined & attached to the G/F?

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1471261448956.jpg

"Efficient use of the block" is the correct term

Gladstone boom they couldn't keep up pegging blocks so they just kept going off the same scaff!

13. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Surprised they need to even ask permission, you don't around here.

14. justine77

for the sake of helping anyone else in future this is what i've found out

council told me that yes there is a permit that was applied for
    cant remember if it was planning or building

apparently if all of the plans comply with council laws then there is nothing i can do

however they do need my signature to enter my property and build from my property.

unlike what someone once told me it wont stop me building up to the boundary so i wnt lose a metre down both sides

i found out their surveyor who is doing the permit and they told me the height of the wall the length of the wall the height of the upper storey as they are doing garage and studio on top

they are doing all legal heights lengths setbacks

i can talk to neighbour about seeing the plans and having a copy to give to an expert to verity all if in compliance and what sort of windows from the studio are being done and if they will overlook my property and what to do about that.

someone wrongly advised me to write a letter of objection saying things like feeling hemmed in or sunlight or view, or fear that i cant in future build up to boundary but apparently objections have to be based on the plans and anything that is not in compliance otherwise you dont have any leg to stand on. that person also wrongly advised me to get a building consultant who is like a dr or lawyer for buildings to fight for me at a cost of some 200 per hour, but again if all is compliant then theres no rights for objection

i canask re windows and privacy
    i can ask them to not make boundary wall higher than the second neighbour ont he other side has made theres
    or to make a flat roof to blck view less and make roof bit lower
    but whether they will do anything if its in compliance why should they.
    i can ask to see the plans or have copy to show to someone
    to see copy of wht they want me to sign re giving them permission to access my property to build

thats about it. so i've learnt to call council find out who their architect or person doing the application is and if its all in compliance then i can see plans nd check that and see form they want me to sign and ahve tht checked legally and i can make requests re privacy and windows or wall height or roof hieght but its up to them if they really want to do any requests it seems. theres no leg to stand on if its in compliance and i wont be stopped from bulding to fenceline myself in fuure.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Justine77

What state are you in?

16. Gockie

I still want to know... which state/suburb is it?

Joynz likes this.
  17. Gockie

Snap :)

Joynz likes this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Did you really think we would know anything more about your individual situation than your council would?