VIC Neighbour making too much noise at night

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by nodnerb, 4th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. nodnerb

nodnerb New Member

I live in an apartment in the CBD. I assume my newly moved neighbour is in a short term lease or possible airbnb as the apartment they’re in is changing tenants every few months or so.

Since they’ve moved in, they’ve been making a racket at night (every hour or so). Standing in the hallway, talking on the phone or amongst themselves, slamming doors, throwing rubbish right outside my doorstep (keep in mind it’s a shared hallway in an apartment setting and unfortunately, they’re doors are right opposite mine) etc. I’m pretty sure it’s a 1 room apartment they’re staying in but I’ve seen at least 5 different faces going in and out + constantly bringing friends to hang out with loud music. Is this even legal? (Not even mentioning the restrictions amid this covid pandemic)

Should I report them to the building management or is there an alternative? I’m not gonna try to talk to them as by the looks of it, they are definitely not going to listen or care.

2. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Crap situation, you probably don’t want to get involved with them and cause yourself aggro so just go to management and next time they have multiple people over during lockdown call the police.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th May, 2020
    The Gambler likes this.
  3. AlphabetSoup

AlphabetSoup Active Member

Have you made a formal noise complaint? The EPA has guidelines on what time loud music needs to stop. In my experience, if you can let the police access your floor of your building, they are very effective at making people stop making unreasonable noise at all hours of the night (or, failing that, fining them!).