neighbour cut out back fence

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by charlieau, 6th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. charlieau

charlieau New Member

I have a rental property in Queensland. I received an email from my PM, saying our neighbour has cut out part of the timber fence at the back and built a brick structure there (see photo). The back fence is a boundary fence. What should I do? The neighbour has never contacted me regarding the change of the boundary fence. Any advise is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6th Apr, 2016
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If the brick structure is on boundary (I.e. Essentially replacing the fence) I wouldn't mind. Maybe just clean up the old fence

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Has he put the new one on the boundary? If so, then I wouldn't be too concerned. I would guess he probably knew if he asked you to contribute to the cost you would (rightly) say no... because there is a perfectly good functioning fence there so he may well have just thought he would pay for it, get what he wanted. It still would have been nice to be advised or even asked if you mind. I don't know legally if he must ask your permission to replace one type of fence for another if he is paying?

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good looking block work even better if they core filled the blocks,may even add value and get the tenants more privacy too your investment,sometimes you become a winner by saying nothing..imho..

5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Looks like a return wall to support his/her back boundary wall. Nothing wrong with what has been done.