Need to tweak floorplan in the next 48 hours - help please!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 26th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is the rumpus a sectioned off part of the garage?
    That photo certainly complicates things.
    How about you leave it as a 3 bedder but convert the laundry to a second bathroom so it's a 3 x 2? You'd get some extra rent for the second bathroom but bathrooms are more expensive

2. Westminster

Next easiest spot to create a 4th bedroom is carving off some living area. Still not going to give any magical ensuite/master suite but....

lacrim1.jpg

If you were happy with keeping it a three bedder than you can turn the pink zone into an ensuite. I like Mel's idea of turning the alcove and robe into a potential ensuite but then Bed 1 would still need a robe and it would turn it into a very tiny bed 1 if you put a robe inside it.

craigc likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes quite possibly used to be a garage (not done by me though that's for sure).

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Could put a bed there but there'd be no window in that 'bedroom', but that's a novel idea. I could put a skylight in but still... Sorry to be nego. It's a real pickle.

Danyool likes this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think the best solution is to convert the rumpus but keep it flexible as a bedroom or rumpus. But how and how to get around the steps?

My original plan when I bought the prop was to convert the garage and rumpus into a compact granny flat. Had plans drawn up and everything but chickened out in the end due to the cost. Was told by the agent that losing the garage would be an issue. Kind of area where your car's better off in the garage than exposed if you know what I mean.

6. Westminster

I agree which is why I suggested it's also a possible location for an ensuite as natural light is easier to forgo for a bathroom.

7. Westminster

It would be better if the steps were within the rumpus. Is the arched wall brick or framed?

If it's framed you could frame out the floor where the steps are and create a new set of steps at either of the window ends which could have a landing and then steps inside the rumpus area so that a door could be placed at the living area level.

8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

idea.jpg

Further to Westminsters ideas above.

Terrible drawing i know, but if you extend the bedroom further you could install a natural light window and allow opening for ventilation.

You could also use the extra space to make a bigger robe for the master perhaps?

Westminster likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK..so in tandem with what you suggested yesterday re: that small hallway in front of the rumpus (with stairs).

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I see what you've done there ie access to the bedrooms will be via a doorway punched through the linen cupboard on the other side?

Archaon likes this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I think you close off the current opening, and create a new one further along where the steps are inside the bedroom/rumpus. That way the room is more functional and the steps can be managed with a small step landing.

vbplease and Lacrim like this.
  12. Westminster

Similar vein but no hallway needed. Just a 1-2 sqm landing at one end then stairs going down into the room. That allows you to have a doorway at the upper living area and close off the old arch and frame out the old stairs.

vbplease and Lacrim like this.
  13. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Do the windows to the front and rear wall of the rumpus go down to near ground level? If so, you’ll see the new landing through the window when standing outside?

14. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Hmm, frosted glass contact to lower portion of the glass?

Westminster likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm thinking its probably safer, though not pleasing to the eye to have the steps outside the door to rumpus the way it is now rather than the steps inside.

Also, have thought closely re: all the feedback, and I keep coming back to the rumpus being the most suitable place and least expensive option to put the bedroom.

And if I execute this or a very close variant, am now wondering whether a 25 sqm net living/dining is too small. From a visual perspective, it would make sense to remove that linen cupboard outside the laundry and square up the living room, though I bet that wall is load bearing. And there's that conundrum about only having 1 bathroom for a 4 bedder. Ah well, I have to decide by tomorrow morning.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I think your best option is to leave the place as it is. Your options are limited due to the significantly different floor levels.

If you change the rumpus to a bedroom, the remaining living areas will be far too small.

wylie likes this.
  17. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

i think perhaps your initial Ideas might be better, hopefully you see gentrification in the area in the next 5-10 years and you could act on them i.e: make the garage and rumpus into a grannyflat.

Marg4000 likes this.
  18. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

What did you end up doing?

Seems like splitting rumpus into a bed and study/small living space would have worked fine. Or flipped it into a small bed and living space. Or go for 2 small bedrooms.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2020
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I didn't in the end bc a tenant applied and moved in quicker than I could get my act together....but I will go with one of the options if/when they leave.

Zimplestiltskin likes this.