NSW Need opinion-$1.5M Budget Hills Area

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by FloraC, 18th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Should I buy single house with bigger block or double house with smaller block?

1. Single house with bigger block

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Double house with smaller block

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. FloraC

FloraC Member

Hi everyone, need opinion on where to buy. Currently looking at Rouse hills and surrounding areas. $1.5M budget, house to live in, has children. Mostly working from home, occasionally need to work in the city. Where in the hills or surrounding should I buy or what kinda house should I buy within this budget to get the most in 10years ?
    And what’s everyone opinion on where the house price is going at rouse hills area in the coming new year?
    Thanks .

2. Hills123

Hills123 Well-Known Member

Rouse Hill can differ in value based on the council, one side is Hills Shire and the other is Blacktown - you’ll find that the Hills Shire side will be have a higher premium.

The hills has grown a lot in the last year (as most of Sydney) - not sure how much more growth it will have after this boom has ended… I’d try find a house that is below the median and you can add value to it - definitely larger block is more appealing as why bother living so far out if you don’t have the space?! My opinion only.

FloraC likes this.
  3. FloraC

FloraC Member

What about home and land package in box hills VS older house in Rouse hills?

4. MrsNixba

MrsNixba Well-Known Member

Definitely go for an older house on a larger block.
    The Adelphi St area has large blocks with single level homes within your budget.
    The Milford Dr area also has large blocks but you're further from amenities.
    For 1.5m you should easily find a 4/2/2 around Adelphi St on 600-700sqm within walking distance to the Panmure St amenities and RHTC.
    I wouldn't bother with anything on less than 600sqm. I definitely would not buy new house and land on the Blacktown side. Or even the Hills side. But especially on the Blacktown side.

FloraC likes this.
  5. FloraC

FloraC Member

Thanks. I actually looked at the Adelphi one, it needs lots work and right beside the roundabout. I am a bit concerned about the traffic during the day. I am interested in another one near by over 600m2 in a better shape but it was just sold over $1.5m. So I am not sure whether I can get a 600m2 block with a older house in good condition within the budget now lol.

6. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Is this seriously true? Blacktown side Vs the Hills Side?

LMFAO. Jesus that is just ludacris. Its the same damn suburb. The ppl thinking like this really need to change their mindset. Its a damn council. A logical line that is drawn on a map.

So someone that lives on a street that gets their council rates from the Hills LGA pays considerably more than another person living 50 meters down the road in the same suburb but gets their rates from Blacktown council?

Some ppl really really really like to make themselves feel better don't they just so they can say "I live in the hills council".......LOL

Trust me I live in the Hills for the past 20+ years now. There is NOTHING hills shire does better than Blacktown council. Nothing. If I was honest the Hills council have caused more headaches compared to when I deal with Blacktown council, Penrith council or even Parramatta council. Being part of Hills council is nothing special.

This is lunacy.

Ideacrash, Esh and Propertyquestions like this.
  7. MrsNixba

Nothing to do with the council, just an easy way to describe the part of the suburb one is referring to. For me, with regards to Rouse Hill specifically, the new H&L packages on the Blacktown side tend to be on smaller lots and poorly built. In any suburb, I'll always recommend the older larger lot 'village' areas, including, for example, Kellyville village vs Duncraig side. Just used the councils to describe locations, just as I used to term 'Duncraig' to differentiate the different sides of Kellyville. I've lived in the Hills my whole life too, and it's never been about ego, always geography. Unless of course you live on the Blacktown side and have to convince everybody else you're a Hills person when nobody else cares...

8. MrsNixba

I'm not sure which houses you're speaking about specifically, but from what I've seen selling in the area, 1.5m for 600sqm seems reasonable still. Yeah the house might need work, but in this market, manufacturing equity is the way to go anyway. Why pay a premium for something already done, when you can make a cheaper entry, pay less stamp duty and value add in your own time to offset any market dips or plateaus?

chaos and FloraC like this.
  9. FloraC

FloraC Member

What about Baumont hills? Will i be able to get something decent with this budget ? It looks more expensive than rouse hill

10. MrsNixba

Beaumont Hills tends to be priced higher than Rouse Hill.
    Glenwood, Quakers Hill, Kellyville Ridge should all have available stock in your budget.
    Alternatively, Gables/Box Hill/Marsden Park if you're looking for something newer, but all those are further.
    Kellyville Ridge might be the way to go.
    Might even get lucky in The Ponds.

FloraC likes this.
  11. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

More likely Kellyville Ridge for that budget than The Ponds nowadays. Friends of ours sold recently for that amount of money in Kellyville Ridge.
    Depending on where you look in Kellyville Ridge (eg closer to the Cemetery), you might be a 10 to 15 minute walk from Rouse Hill train / shops as well.

FloraC likes this.
  12. chaos

chaos Active Member

Was looking for investment opportunities around 1.3~1.5M mark early 2021 but missed out due to slow action. Kellyville / Rouse Hill and surroundings (2155) has gone up too much for the past 10~ months. I'd wait and see what happens next year after federal election (correction?), inflation is high (rate hikes expected), banks have already raised interest rates, lending has been tightened.

NOTE: those $ went into US share market and has been performing OK (similar to housing bubble percentage...)

13. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

If you wait and say there was a 5% pullback by 2023 your still worse off than buying in early 2021 since there has been 20%+ price rises. Even if it pulls back 10% your still worse off.

In 2022 in Sydney will still most likely have single digit growth. So add say 7-8% to the already 20%+ we've had in 2021 waiting is just a suckers game.

Also dont get me started on the ppl waiting for a drop as they say. In 2017/2018 we had that drop and guess what? They still didnt take action. LOL

Dont be one of those ppl. You'll be a fence sitter for life. I know plenty of them.

Chris21, FloraC and Propertyquestions like this.
  14. chaos

chaos Active Member

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it.

I got what you mean. I am not naively waiting for a some 20%+ drop but a "correction" return to sanity, when more listings are available, buyers have more choices, no more FOMO. I own my primary residence outright so I am not desperate, always looking for good deal rather than buy an investment property.

Trying to buy in such a highly competitive market: impulse buy, overpay, without doing due diligence, etc. can be as bad as sitting ducks. Leverage is good on rising market but it also amplifies one's loss going downhill.

I haven't stop watching and researching (looking at more suburbs), in the meantime, continuously increasing US shares in my portfolio. Personally I feel more comfortable holding onto my US shares long term (almost 3x since end of 2019 when the pandemic hit..., also USD/AUD).

NOTE: I have many colleagues and kids' classmates family living in the Hills district, but that is a tip of the iceberg. I am keen to look into the 2021 Census statistics (atlas, etc.) for demographics before making a decision to buy IP.

15. FloraC

FloraC Member

Thanks everyone. Please continually give me more advices