Need help to reconfigure floorplan of IP that may soon be a PPOR, please!!!

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Lacrim, 22nd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

20sqm of build out. Plus a kitchen, and 2 new bathrooms, and new flooring, and plumbing, and electrical, and design and council fees. Priced up a glass atrium recently?

Joynz likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Gosh I think you went a little OTT there. I don't think it will fly with council as you've filled up almost all the block and now have no private open space/courtyard. Most councils will require that.
    I think some extension to the side will be fine but you need to leave that courtyard alone.

Joynz likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'll have a chat to an architect - I think the FSR will fly Westminster. The driveway/parking space is considered as open space, as is the deck at the rear. Heaps of houses in the area have RLA/carspace that's considered a 'yard'. Once the car's in, there is bugger all 'yard' left.

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2017
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

63 park ersko 3.jpg
    Well glass atrium was probably a stretch, the attached is what I had in mind. I hear what you're saying - $50K for the build excluding council fees etc is a bare minimum budget and it will probably be blown out, but keep in mind I did a 24 sqm extension, with 2 new bathrooms, new laundry and a kitchen, stairs and a 30sqm attic conversion for about $120K start to finish 3 years ago. That's my yardstick - I intend to use the same builder who I have a decent relationship wit

But in summary yeah, I think $50K won't cut it.

Westminster likes this.
  5. Westminster

So everything but the attic :) I think you'll spend $100k with your plans. But it will be pretty awesome.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I guess there's a fine line that I need to assess..eg would $100K be better put towards a full scale 2nd storey extension (and get real space) as opposed to a lot of nip and tucking. I'm guessing an 80sqm 2nd storey extension plus mods in the bottom storey, landscaping etc etc will be close to $300K. And if that option is considered, I'm probably better off razing the thing to the ground and starting again. Probably yield a much better product for say, $400K and make it a lot easier for the builders because they can lay a proper slab and go from there rather than underpinning all over the place.

Bottomline is I think I have 2 viable options:

1. go with the bare minimum (essentially your proposal/floorplan Westminster)
    2. full scale knock down rebuild

Anything in between will be an expensive polish of a t*rd. I reckon perhaps this can be done for $50K including design costs. I think 1. is the winner in context.

7. Westminster

You're right. If you did knock down and rebuild you'd get an awful lot of brand new no issues house for $400k rather than a $300k extension on dodgy old stuff :)

#1 is the quickest way to have a liveable house in a the good school neighborhood.

wylie, DaveM and Lacrim like this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Have flipped flopped and spoke to a few builders - cost of starting again at the rear and double storey-ing the house is too much to bear (circa $400-500K) and we're going to stay in this house for 5 years max. Therefore, am reverting back to the original plans to nip/tuck the house and reclaim about 10 sqm (per Westminster's floorplan).

So thanks a lot for your proposed floorplan Westminster. What was the exact reason why you decided to shift the entry to the master closer to the kitchen island....is it because a door in the centre of the master (as it is currently) is an impediment to where you'd put the bed etc?

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2017
  9. Westminster

It was mainly due to one of your comments (I think?) that you didn't really want the bedroom directly opening off the living area. It also assists with furniture placement in the living area as well as the master bedroom.

I was thinking it should be like an alcove with the door then swinging into the master bedroom, ie the door isn't actually on the living room/kitchen wall. I can draw it better if you want.

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2017
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think I know what you mean Westminster, but it'll probably eat into the floorspace in the master?

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Been doing a lot of analysis and considerations of everyone's suggestions.

This is the final design that I've settled on which I think maximises the space/function, minimises the cost, and creates a 4x2 rather than a 3x2. Only problem now is, I'm not sure where to stick the laundry. I could slot it:

• into the outdoor shed
    • in the main bathroom but will be very tight
    • incorporate it in the kitchen, probably under the kitchen island

Doing this reno will yield an increase in value of $150K at least and $200 more per week in rent in my estimation. Not sure exactly how much it'll cost but am hoping no more than $50K or so with my 'contacts'.

I've attached a before and after view of the floorplan.

Attached Files:

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF