Need handyman to dismantle kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mr Dabolina, 5th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of renovating a house in Lake Macquarie and need a 2nd hand kitchen to replace the existing one. I found one in Sydney (south) and am looking to get a local handyman or cabinet maker to dismantle and possibly deliver (if they have a big van) to me in LM - does anyone have any contacts? I'm aiming to get this done by the weekend of 10 December. @Taku Ekanayake , @Gockie - any contacts?

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  2. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I know a guy in the mountains but I doubt he would want to go for such a drive but I'll ask and let you know. Have you tried airtasker?

Mr Dabolina and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  3. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

sorry brother - don't know of anyone in the area @Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

+1 for the airtasker idea.

Mr Dabolina likes this.
  5. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

So you want someone to dismantle carefully, transport carefully and you'll install? Whatever you budget on that , I would recommend putting it towards getting a new flat pack kitchen delivered.
    Short of getting a van and getting it yourself.

EN710, Mr Dabolina and wylie like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We did this a couple of years ago. Paid about $1200 (from memory) for a full kitchen with granite benches, waterfall edge. It came with everything except the dishwasher and was worth paying a bit more for. The owner gave us the number of the man who had removed it. He installed her new one. It was good he knew this kitchen because he'd just removed it. I think he charged $200 to deliver it and once we realised we had no clue how to put it back together whilst staying sane, we called him and he came back a few days later and installed it for $500.

I'm with Ginger. If you have to muck about so much to get it done, I'd look at costing up a new one.

7. Mr Dabolina

@wylie @Gingin @Tony Fleming Cheers. I will look into flat pack but I reckon I could get a newish / good quality used kitchen for under $3k installed by my handyman (who has done a fair few so these types of installs) not sure a flat pack with Island will work under $3k (with appliances). Will try air tasked too!

Tony Fleming likes this.
  8. Mr Dabolina

Good idea... Pan tech truck means I won't have to pull the kitchen into bits but just the main sections.

9. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

We recently bought a $700 kitchen off gumtree, dismantled it, transported it and re-installed it in an IP in Adelaidr. Lucky @DaveM helped and knew what he was doing or we would still be trying to dismantle it.

Took quite a few hours to dismantle and pack it in the truck. I imagine youd be paying a days labour just for that side of it.

DaveM and Tony Fleming like this.
  10. Mr Dabolina

You reckon it will take a whole day even with 2people doing it?

11. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

We had 3 people, admittedly 2 of us were hopeless. It took much longer than i anticipated. It took 2 -3 hours to dismantle and then time to pack into the van we hired... there was a bit of tetris needed so every thing was initially brought outside and then strategically placed in van once everything was out. we then had an hour or so drive and then we needed to unload at the other end. Took the good part of a day for us.

2 good people youll be done in 30 mins.

12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

With 2 good people, I would allow 2 hours to dismantle depending on size, another hour to load and tie down.

wylie likes this.
  13. saanch

saanch New Member

@Mr Dabolina Is this reno task finished? have you got any handyman to do the job? I was looking for a similar task, If you know someone who can do the job please let me know.

14. Mr Dabolina

@saanch yes, I ended up hiring a pantech for transport as the kitchen was fairly big and hired a person of airtasker to meet me there and help disassemble and pack.