Need advice on addressing a rusty zincalume roof

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by evilish, 28th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. evilish

evilish New Member

Hey everyone,

New to the forums. :)

I'm currently settling on my first home. (So very much a newb when it comes to owning property.)

The place that I'm buying is an established weatherboard home around ~45 year old, with a metal/zincalume (I think) roof.

The roof has some rust/surface rust spots and I'm trying to come up with both a short-term and long-term plan to address the rust.

Has anyone here dealt with a rusty roof before? Any ideas/guesstimates on how much it costs to replace sections of a metal roof?

Cheers!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Short term you could probably treat the rust with a rust converter and paint. Long term you'll need a new roof. One of my IPs was same as yours but older - about 50 yo. It cost $12K to replace the roof with colorbond a few years ago (it's only a small 2bedder).

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Short term with some of the roof paints that eat the rust and seal the surface at the same ,as long as the sheets have no holes..Long term new roof gutters downpipes..

4. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

As @Propertunity said - you can get a few more years with a treatment of rust converter and paint, but the corrosion resistance is shot and eventually you will need a new roof.
    You can find used corrugated sheets pretty cheap to do a temporary patch - remove the worst affected parts.
    As an indicator, if you hear the roof "crinkles" when you walk over it, it will almost be rusted through....:(:(

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've recently had a roofer replace all screws, bird proofing and damaged sheets on a 50 year old roof. I then rust treated the roof and painted. It's preventative maintenance.

The solution differs whether it's just surface rust (treatment) or full depth rust (replace).

6. evilish

evilish New Member

Haha yeah. Been watching Youtube videos trying to get upto speed with what to expect and I saw people mentioning listening out for "crinkling" sounds.

@everyone - Have any of you used a particular brand of rust converter? Something I can specifically do a bit more research on?