Need Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Keery, 17th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keery

Keery New Member

I have signed a lease and paid the bond for a property but have not yet received the keys, I did view it and all seemed well however then when signing the lease she mentioned the shed wasn't included in the rental. After giving it thought I really don't want to be taking the property and have said so to the landlord awaiting reply. She is still advertising the property and I have time dated screen shots. Does anyone know my grounds?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What's the reason you don't want to take it property in the end?

Is the fact that the shed being excluded from the rental actually written on the lease?

When is the lease supposed to commence?

I suppose there might be some possible scenarios where you can get out of the lease, but on the initial information provided, the fact that you have paid and signed the written lease is what makes it more unlikely.

Chivaun.Shortis likes this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

This. The fact that it was disclosed that the shed wasn't included and then you signed the lease makes your grounds very shaky. You could take it to tribunal and there's every chance you'll get out of it, but do you have the time and money to risk that?

I'd suggest you'll need to come to a mutual agreement and pay some money to get out of this.

(Hope this isn't too late, eek!).

5. Lawrence Mayne

Lawrence Mayne Member

Nah take it to the tribunal, get your money back... If you don't want to pay, don't... Landlords agents who use high pressure tactics and force these signatures are scum. Reprobates who cover their incompetence with this sort of mealy mouthed scroogism... That's the only way bad landlords learn, is if someone gets up them once in a while....So do us all a favour and stand up for yourself. Remember to let us know who is trying to scam you out of your cash, so we know not to use them in the future...I

Invest_noob likes this.
  6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

So to confirm. Is the shed written into the lease as excluded or not? Or had agent just verbally stated that?

Stoffo likes this.
  7. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

It is common for a Land-lord to list what is included in the Lease and what is not. Like a garage (even though it is present on the property) or a dishwasher (maybe not functional). Since you signed the Lease and paid the bond subject to you acknowledging and admitting that you did not want that shed, makes you liable to the conditions of a Lease and the break of it thereof.

Speak to the agent and be nice. Plead if you have to. It is not uncommon, especially if you need the Bond back. You may get your way if you tug on their emotions.

All the best.

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

No chance at Tribunal. Don't waste time. If you had actual knowledge of the exclusion items and proceeded to sign, deal's done. Agreement made and consideration given - perfectly made contract in writing. If the LL doesn't press and there's another tenant waiting to sign, then you should be off the hook.