Need advice about property settlement for investment in burpengary

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Katrina Venables, 5th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Katrina Venables

Katrina Venables New Member

My ex is determined to sell our investment property in burpengary. We bought it for 388 2yrs ago and it's been valued at 420ish. It costs us nothing to hold with rent at $410 and loan at 360k.
    I can't refinance on my own as single mum. I do have a friend who is keen to buy in with me for the property but not sure if it's worth it? If I'm better to just cut my loses and get the $20k? Would love any thoughts or advice

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's less a matter of 'cutting your losses' and more about taking the $20K profit. Buying with friends is complicated despite the best intentions of all concerned. Somebody else here will have an opinion on the prospects of Burpengary. You might need to tell them more about the property.

Katrina Venables likes this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Sell. Pay CGT on the gain you made. Cut the ex loose. Don’t if you can help it, buy IPs with friends where you are jointly and severally responsible for the loan.

Katrina Venables likes this.
  4. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would tend to agree with posters above. Also check what the equivalent is currently selling - just because it's valued at 420ish doesn't mean it will necessary sell at 420. You may have to accept a lower sale price but it sounds more about cutting the tie with ex, so more of a personal decision than financial.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    David

5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I would cut it lose, there are always other options to invest other than staying with the ex.