Entertainment & Music Need Adventure Book/Novel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MindMaster, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good adventure books or authors they can recommend?

Something along the lines of foreign culture, exploration, historical etc

Too give you an idea of what I'm after, think Wilbur Smith, James Clavell and even Leon Uris who are excellent authors of this kind of adventure books. The only problem with their books is I've read them to death and they are 20 plus years old.

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thank you :)

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a few older books by Robert Ludlum,i think there is above 25 books most are thrillers but have not read the whole selection but I think there is over 3oo million printed over his life span..

upload_2015-7-7_15-50-41.jpeg

3. MindMaster

Thank you for your suggestion Willair. Ludlum is a good author and I've enjoyed a few of his books. In this case though, I'm after books that focus more on the adventure side.

For example James Clavel wrote brilliantly about adventure in Hong Kong and Japan, Wilbur Smith in Africa and other places and Leon Uris in Israel and various countries.

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

The original Gulliver's Travels for the first ever adventure novel. It started the genre. Google its context before you read it so it makes sense outside that of a perceived childrens' book. One of the best satires of the original 18th century version of a travel guide.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Gullivers Travels was a satire of society as a whole, not just of travel books. It really belongs in the satire genre rather than adventure. For instance, there was the war between big endians and little endians over which end of the egg people cut to eat boiled eggs, poking fun at religious struggles.

For the older novels, Hammond Innes and Alistair McLean were good.

Now I mostly just read ebooks (my phone wants to change that word to ebola). Every day amazon.com.au has two daily specials, most often between $1 and $1.50. There's a big range of books, I will buy books in the genres I like with good ratings. I've read a lot of good books that way. Adventure and murder mystery are not my thing but there's frequently books in that genre. So I spend a pittance on a good quantity of good quality books, and I'm not cluttering up my already overflowing physical book library. The kindle paperwhite is great for reading at night in bed, it has its own light. But smartphones and tablets also have kindle apps. The original iPad is too big for reading in bed, but the iPad mini is fine.

6. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I enjoy Conn Iggulden's books and am also a Wilbur Smith fan. They are similar storytellers in that they both write historical fiction. Conn's series are based around Caesar and Genghis Kahn (two different series). I highly recommend them!

7. MindMaster

Not what I originally had in mind but worth checking out. May be a quick read though.

Sounds great thank you Freyja. I'll look up Iggulden and sort out getting some of his ebooks.

freyja likes this.
  8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I love the Wilbur Smith Courtney family during the different generations and Egyptian series. A very common book but have you read the "Power of One"?

freyja likes this.