NDIS/SDA Properties - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by Cmelderis, 11th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anjohn

Anjohn Well-Known Member

Hi RPI, could you please give some hints about what info investors needs to know before committing to purchase a SDA property, e.g.how to avoid buying doggy product? Thanks

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

First thing is see a provider that is there for the long haul and has the relationships with providers. Ex NRAS sales companies, marketeers are not going to do well in most instances. The compliance on the ongoing management side is massive. Most people selling this stuff don't have the stomach for it.

You should be able to find your own site, although you may need to use a provider's builder or electrician etc as they are not simple to build. We don't like working with builders who we don't usually work with as it costs as lots of time. But we will do so. But only our automation guys as we need them to work the same so we can we manage.

Meeting standard doesn't mean fit for purpose. I'm on the road back from Bundaberg where we are building 7 properties this month, whilst there are 8 that have been sitting empty for ages that just don't work.

timthetoolman likes this.
  3. RPI

We had a little pause in building and our SEQ places are all now full. We have 3 bed houses returning gross incomes of $140k, on $800k packages with bank vals of $1.02m Probably not too good to be true.

mtbwanabe, Toby and DBD like this.
  4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Gross $140k What is the Net ?
    Do they reinstate the buildings like the Defence Force properties or is it the landlords cost ?

5. RPI

Net of Management, cleaning and gardening $106,105.55

And no, there is no restoration at that income.

6. RPI

Above example has $300 of cleaning fees a week. Some don't have that

7. DBD

DBD Active Member

Congratulations, sounds like lots of people getting placed into suitable accommodation, no doubt life changing for many.

Is the pause in building because you see supply catching up with demand? Our will you keep going in SEQ?

8. RPI

The pause was just while we were waiting to see if Corona was going to cause supply issues, eg didn't want half completed buildings sitting there.

We have plenty more under construction now, just waiting for them to be finished.

9. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

hello rpi, could you point me in the right direction with who i should contact to be able to provide housing to these disability organisations

10. RPI

You need a housing provider like mine (NDISP) to be able to do so.

11. NCA

NCA New Member

Hi RPI, I am also interested in buying SDA properties. If you could please contact me, I'd appreciate it! Thank you.

12. RPI

We are doing info sessions for participants in Townsville, Bowen, Airlie Beach and Mackay this week. Our sessions are not for investors but for participants and carers.

mtbwanabe likes this.
  13. Old_surfer

Old_surfer Member

Hi
    Appreciate all the great info from @RPI and others on this thread.
    I recently watched a long video on NDIS Investing | Investing in NDIS Property and it also provided some great info. The attraction being that an investor invests and obtains a return without too much responsibility for all the functions required of such an investment, i.e. sourcing, building, management etc.
    Also, other areas of Australia, other than Queensland, were mentioned.
    @RPI, can you mention any interstate service providers similar to yourselves?
    Thanks.

14. RPI

I'm in WA, VIC and NSW as well as QLD. Contracted to go to Tasmania for one of our Victorian funds. NT would be there but for Corona - probably late this years. - Have 60 people waiting for accommodation. And SA we are going to last.

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

ACT?

16. RPI

That's the same as NSW isn't it.......

17. RPI

Sorry Geoff, couldn't resist the dig. Yes we are going into ACT. Have provider and builder connections. Just haven't had investor asked yet since Corona hit. Once we do we will go in for a handful at the same time.

mtbwanabe likes this.
  18. geoffw

There is one outfit in the ACT which is building in SE Qld. They actually asked me if I knew of any providers locally.

19. RPI

I hardly see any good stuff being built in SEQ, but happy to have a look and if they are OK would use them. Ideally we wouldn't be involved in the build process at all but there is so much not fit for purpose we have to be. We now employ 2 architects and 2 project managers, with more to come......

20. geoffw

That was a few months back when I thought I was able to proceed, and I was just sounding out. They are another group coming primarily from the investment angle, and didn't appear to know a lot about their potential clients. I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to find local care providers in the ACT.