NBN to granny flat

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by menty, 10th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. menty

menty Well-Known Member

My front house has NBN and I am currently building a granny flat. There's no point running a phone line into the granny flat because it is an NBN area. The conduit is in and all they have to do is run the fibre optic through to the granny flat.

Who do I contact to do this or should I leave it without NBN?

AlbertWT likes this.
  2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I am also interested in anyone who has done this successfully. According to NBN website they will not connect direct to a granny flat. However I have read other info saying that it can be done.

I called NBNco, was advised to submit a development application to them. When i submit that I was able to specify the dwelling was a granny flat, they approved the application and took my $600 fee. I had to then submit a site drawing showing the cable/connection locations.

I asked the guy st NBNco how long install would take. Was advised “could be several months, as in Queensland it is not considered an essential service”. :-(

AlbertWT likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

NBN only connect a single access point to a dwelling. Its then the ISP issue after that. If its a subdiv you can apply for a second connection but takes a long time. Not for a GF or outbuilding however. Thats a secondary connection issue and often best led by the ISP who applies to NBN. You can do it direct but then it will hit a wall later. You must cable from the GF to the access point which NBN through the ISP connect up as a split service.

Its wont be a fibre optic split. Fibre to the street at best. Then its copper.

Outbuildings and granny flats | nbn - Australia's broadband access network

AlbertWT and Gingin like this.
  4. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Called NBN. They told me to get an electrician to run the conduit to the street, and then apply for a new development $600

whitewash and Blueskies like this.
  5. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Alternatively, run a Cat5e/cat6e cable from the granny flat to the box in the front house, as the box will allow 4 connections.

AlbertWT and Jason Peng like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

7. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

9. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Thanks, Scott