NBN - New Installation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Moffat, 11th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moffat

Moffat Member

The NBN is due to roll past my IP in the next month or so. I understand that in order to get the NBN connected it requires the resident to contract with an ISP. Further I understand that if you don't get a connection when it rolls out in your neighborhood, later connection is at your own cost.

So how do I ensure that my property gets connected? Do I contact the PM? Can I compel my tenant to arrange the connection??

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You can’t “compel” your tenant.
    Even if connection is free, they would need to sign a contract to open an account. Why should they have that expense if they don’t want it?

And once the nbn is available, then you have 18 months to connect. Plenty of time for you to connect between tenants.

We got our letter last week. Our property can now be connected to the nbn. We have until 20th June 2020 to do so, before the copper network is switched off.

Your IP has not even got the nbn yet. Our first notification was that we would get it in November 2017. It actually happened in January 2019.
    Marg

3. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Where exactly are you getting this from?

Initial connection costs are worn by nbn for existing “brown fields” properties.

There is a fixed cost contribution of $299 for the first connection at new developments only

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you don't allow access to NBN to install (up to your exterior of the building), then the cost to run the entire install is at your cost. - Currently Free

NBN must issue a LIFD (including a plan) to the building owner, you have only a limited items that you may object. If you don't object, then you get an installation which you have had no input.

Last edited: 11th Jan, 2019
  5. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Do you have a reference for any of this? Because I don’t think it is quite correct.

I can also guarantee you nbn are not issuing plans to every single house owner.

External connection points aren’t even installed for all technology types, only fibre to the premises and HFC

6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Initial costs are only worn if the tenant has an existing account with a provider and migrates to NBN. I had an issue when I moved in to my IP after NBN had gone live in the area, but the tenants I'd had in the house had not switched to NBN. Initially I tried to relocate my NBN service (same neighbourhood)m but they were incompetent and could not activate my service. I went with a different provider and had to pay the connection fee.

I recently had a PM pass on a request from a tenant that I pay the $300 connection fee for them. I explained this is a standard connection fee for new accounts, to be paid by the tenant, but if they shopped around or went on contract, they may be able to have it waived.

There's no fibre going in to brown field areas though (last I checked), so access is not required, except when the tenant wants to actually connect - and even then its not really "required", but they seem to be doing it anyway to head off any potential issues.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

7. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

That is an ISP charge and nothing to do with nbn then

8. Scott No Mates

Schedule 3 Telecommunications Act 1997 - which gives the telco (and the landowner) rights and protections under the act.

Have you enforced your rights under Schd 3?

Correct, if you get FTTN, then it appears no different to the existing ADSL/phone line install as it uses all of the existing copper from the node to the house.

9. Scott No Mates

Our area has been swapped from HFC to FTTC. Fibre will be in the pit. It will then use the existing copper to the premises or new fibre to the house should I choose to pay for it.

10. inertia

correct, no end users have contracts with NBN.

11. inertia

Ahh, good ol' HFC. What a **** fight.

What is the word on timeline for the FTTC install/cut over? I haven't seen the process for FTTC. Can they connect you to the media converter in parallel with the DSLAM, or is it an intrusive cut over?

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2019
  12. Scott No Mates

@inertia - mine has gone from sometime in 2017 (would have been a couple of months after the date of the embargo on HFC) to sometime mid-2020.

I'm not enough of the tech-head (though I have had D-Slams with 2 x 12F and new Krone blocks installed on the MDFs in 25+ commercial premises) some now have the business level upgrade as well (new CTL with 12F coming into it). I don't know enough of what they are doing in the pit (FTTC termination point) to know how they will then provide the service to the premises.

13. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Regardless of anything in there, nbn are not charging homeowners for installation of equipment in brownfield premises at this time. Future political changes could change that as they did with the new devolopment charges

FTTC is identical in design as far as the fibre and equipment all the way from exchange to the pit outside your house. At the pit a small 4 port DPU is installed instead of continuing the fibre through the leadin to your house.

The dpu is essentially a 4 port DSLAM that’s is reverse powered over the copper phone line in your house. You will receive an NTD from nbn or your RSP when you get connected which is a combination of modem and reverse power supply for the DPU.

If you are in a large apartment complex then most likely you will end up with fibre to the basement instead of fibre to the curb and they will install equipment directly in to the building MDF room

14. Scott No Mates

I only deal with commercial installs - this is what I have been informed by NBN, "grab it while it's free".

Thanks for clarifying.

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

When did this happen? Which area is this?

We're still listed to get HFC some time this year. I was kind of hoping they would give up on it and swap us to something like FTTC.

16. Scott No Mates

As soon as the NBN released the new roll-out dates I checked our address. Surprise surprise,we'd been bumped from Mar - Jun 17 to 2020 but changed from HFC to FTTC (I was hoping).

This is for 2066.

Whereas others in the Innerwest have remained as HFC with revised roll-out dates.

17. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Any idea how much NBN charges to run fibre in place of a copper pair from FTTC? We're supposed to be getting FTTC at some point but my phone line is in several pieces outside so NBN will have to run a new pair regardless, so I'll be screaming for fibre when the time comes.

18. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

In theory it shouldn’t cost too much but in practice you will be looking at a couple of grand probably.

The technology choice program is poorly managed and you have to wait until they have completed your installation before you can even apply to have it switched to fibre which means you don’t get the cost benefit of having them do it while they are already there running the fibre down the street

19. Scott No Mates

Had a tenant who got Telstra fibre, they were quoted $12k (for a 900m run from nearest point).

I objected to the LAAN, got it redesigned & halved the cost.

The tenant wanted the owner to contribute 50% towards it :eek:. I told them, no as we redesigned and saved them the 50% they were after. :D