National Anthem

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bayview, 27th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

For the period of Muharrem (mourning period) you required to act in a sombre mood at all times and not to participate in any joyful activities such as a birthday party or wedding.

Speak to any non radicalised Muslim and they will inform you that singing a national anthem at a school would not be a breach of their beliefs. In this instance, the decision was made at a school level and was done only for political correctness.

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Would you rather them not sing the national anthem then? I'd certainly prefer them not to sing and consider the anthem to be joyful than to sing it and not evoke any positive emotion!

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've seen interpretations both ways.

I don't think it's fair for a non muslim to make an interpretation on such a matter, rather just live and let live.

sanj likes this.
  4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed, also all religions have people who interpret things differently, so it wouldnt in any way surprise me if muslims felt the anthem was acceptable during the mourning period while others didnt.

Ive never been very religious but i know even us sikhs as have differing views on some practices within the community, with christianity look at the huge differences between catholics, protestants, anglicans, pentecostals etc.

I think it's sad that some can recognise/acknowledge shades of grey for most people but muslims dont get the same level of leeway and understanding

geoffw likes this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ive not seen this claim anywhere, not saying youre wrong but do you have a link or reference for this? Genuinely curious

MTR likes this.
  6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I know several people who attend the Shia Muslim Centre at Greenacre and am repeating what is their understanding.

Islam teaches tolerance and understanding and not shunning.

7. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

May be the italics didn't express what music is. Lemme try again :

Music : vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form,harmony, and expression of emotion.

Youtube/Spotify for Adhan/Azhan and one'd be tone deaf to not consider what is being recited to not be in form and harmony.

For another poster who siad music is not allowed in the month of mourning, I think music is generally disallowed in Islam as it is 'haram' and not 'halal'. A quick google shows this :
    http://islam.stackexchange.com/questions/237/music-in-islam

8. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Well done on finding what you went looking for, on the internet.

9. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Otherwise, it wasn't possible to discuss this, on the internet.

10. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

You wouldn't think so, listening to Tony Abbott.

Unless it's talking about the boundless plains on Manus Island...

GP

11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

or if they drown on the way - after forking over lots of shekels to a people smuggler - to avoid normal legal channels to get here.

12. spludgey

There aren't any real viable channels though. Australia's humanitarian effort is absolutely pathetic.

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There seem to be a few topics being discussed here which are way off the original topic. Can we keep this thread on the original topic please?

14. spludgey

Righto, my viewpoint is the following then: "People should not be forced to participate in any political (or religious) ceremony. So if they don't want to join in, they can sit down and be quiet, they're not hurting anyone."

geoffw likes this.
  15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

A National Anthem is not a political instrument as such. It is also not a religious instrment as such. They often have religious words in them though....god and Country and all that.

It is designed to unify all the citizens of that Country; to hopefully bring everyone together for the good of the Country - not divide.

We can all find what we think are valid reasons to reject it, or to not participate when it is performed....thankfully; most till do - for now.

Chilliblue likes this.