NAB puts 40 postcodes on credit watchlist

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Tattler, 17th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Taking a stab at it, I'd say banks can see:

Defaults, delinquencies and late payments

Income flows for entire suburbs ($1 million in wages dropping to $900K next month might trigger something (I'm sure entire suburb wages are higher than this))

Applications for consolidation loans

Increase in credit card debt (first thing to happen after job loss, wage reduction)

Weaker credit applications per suburb

-- This is just off the top of my head. I imagine they have a lot of things they can pull out of the statistics. Although Westpac's inability to change rates for investor loans suggests they're running 1970s software back there and I'm assuming the banks look at this information. I imagine in some cases it's "if we don't know about it, we're legally covered".

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Am I reading it correctly that this article has NOTHING to do with property loans?:confused:

These are risk suburbs "where business and personal loans are in higher risk of default because areas over-rely on single industries for growth, have high unemployment, or property prices have run too hard"

The Y-man

3. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@C-mac is it because the notorius dodgy OTP that he built in John St. Lidcombe ?

4. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@datto YOu've got vested interest there mate ;-)

Riverstone somehow got into the list, I guess it's because of the large volume of new OTP property being purchased by mostly investors.

5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Across the country, mortgage arrears are at below usual levels, due in large part to a low cash rate of 2 per cent and no recent rate rise surprises.
    [​IMG]

Tekoz likes this.