Health & Family myfitnesspal

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 20th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Particularly that, and also the general body shape of folks in the lower socio-economic areas.

And not just Aus; I even saw it glaringly obviously when we lived in L.A and later when we lived in Santa Rosa...upper-end suburbs/areas; folks in better shape. Lower-end suburbs; much more to opposite.

Last edited: 22nd Oct, 2015
  2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I LOVED this app for about two months and it was working pretty well! I didn't stick with it though!

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Not for Everyone

Think about what you ate this morning.

Maybe it was a bagel, or a bowl of cereal to go along with that cup of coffee.

Now compare that to what Olympic gold medalist and swimming sensation Michael Phelps eats in the morning, and you might feel a little malnourished:

— three fried egg sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayo
    — one five-egg omelets
    — a bowl of grits
    — three slices of French toast with powdered sugar
    — three chocolate chip pancakes
    — two cups of coffee

Altogether, Phelps consumes 12,000 calories a day while in training. Compared to the 2,500-3,000 calories a day the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends for men depending on age and activity level, Phelps diet seems outrageous.

Link

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

And you believe this?

5. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Maybe that's what Michael Phelps eats, but as I will never be a world class athlete in any sport (except maybe competitive napping) I will continue to try to stick to 1600 calories a day.

6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I believe it.

We worked out that I probably consumed and subsequently burned as much as 30,000 calories in my recent 48hr world record attempt.

Those calories have got to come from somewhere, so why not from the foods he chooses to eat.

pinkboy

7. Aaronjod

I have no doubt that consuming that amount in that manner is possible, from those food sources. I just feel its taken out of context, in that if he did consume that every day he wouldn't be shredded. I feel they just cherry picked one of his biggest days, he probably eats substantially less on other days.

8. 158

158 Well-Known Member

It says so in the article if you cared to read it fully:

"Zuckerbrot said Phelps probably doesn’t eat that many calories during his off-training season as his high-fat, high-carbohydrate diet would be dangerous to his health."

pinkboy

Aaronjod likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what happens when you can not ride a bike anymore?

Just curious, professional football players either become reporters, coaches or suffer from the excessive strain on their body parts and most just get fat?

10. Aaronjod

Good point, I didn't bother to click the article.

11. 158

158 Well-Known Member

When can one not ride a bike anymore?

And using a footballer is a poor comparative. Footballer careers are short because you cannot sustain body blow after body blow much beyond 40.

World cycling Masters have a 100+ age category.

What's it matter anyway? You got your magic app to make you skinny, so don't see why you need exercise schooling.

pinkboy

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It wont make any difference to me personally.

My point is what happens to anyone who is a professional athlete, sportsperson etc. today they can eat what they want because at this level they burning it off, the average person can not do this.

If they continue to consume the same quantity of food and exercise is significantly reduced its inevitable they will end up with a weight problem. At the end of the day its what you eat.

MTR:)

13. 158

158 Well-Known Member

No, its a combination.

You can choose to significantly reduce exercise and you can choose to eat the appropriate amount.

But you keep telling yourself that......

pinkboy

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think this is the treadmill to nowhere.

I have mentioned food 1, exercise 2, combination of both good. My point was not everyone is an athlete, and we should not compare the average person with this level, stating the obvious that about it.

MTR:)

proper_noobie likes this.
  15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

No, This was your opinion.

pinkboy

16. xactly

xactly Well-Known Member

Pinkboy you are one of the few people left in the world who know the meaning of what "hard exercise" is.
    Not many people talk about their recent 48hr world record attempts unless its a Game of thrones marathon.
    also you have trained your body over years to become a caloric furnace.

My partner is the same, can train until vomits, I give up way before that. Im improving though.

my fitness pal worked for me a couple of years ago when a stint of forced inactivity due to an injury made me chubby.

Bad habits crept up on me over the last few years but Ive lost 8kgs over the 7 months and am back to my weight at my marathon running 20s. calorie counting and exercise helped but what really kicked it along was the 5:2 diet.

Highly recommend it. I started it as the early science looked promising for the anti-inflammatory and repair effect. The neuroprotective measures against dementia got me interested and the weight just fell off.
    I wasn't using it as a weight loss tool but my god it works.
    No need to cut down on any particular food either, even zinger burgers aren't off limits.

17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

The average adult person today is 20kg's (or probably more) overweight.

I think I like not being average.

I went into Aldi up in Bendigo yesterday (up there for a nephew's wedding)...

I kid you not; I reckon the total of folks in that store who were "normal" weight would be counted on one hand.

Absolute disgrace.

Doncossack likes this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I used ride with Audax in Perth. Some of those riders are into their 80's. Try being 40 and being overtaken up a hill by a rider in their 70's :p

That's humbling. But yeah, I think they stop riding when they pass on. :)

MTR and 158 like this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Sounds good. Enjoy your peanut butter!

20. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I drink about 5 beers a day, but swim 1.5km also. Seems to balance out, chest to waist ratio well above 1. Balancing one off against the other. I actually have a beer before my swim, probably goes against all advice, but seems to work for me relaxation and energy wise.