My perfect tenants abandoned the property :(

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Xenia, 17th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I like that,but no.I wouldn't live in the bird cage at the Bridge.

Xenia likes this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

ahhh got it

Most baliffs are awesome mediators and try to diffuse arguments by talking. Most PMs are meant to diffuse arguments too.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well it is South Australia.

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Not a criticism of those who self manage. Just saying definitely not for me, ever.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

We had a tribunal hearing set for late last year, a few days before I recieved a call from my office saying "guess who is standing at our front desk"? The original tenants!!!

Saying they were always in control of the property - they were. The people there were house sitting! - so they say.

Inspection on the property was done shortly after - all good, cleaned up and back to normal.

Tribunal cancelled!

That's property management ladies and gentlemen - stranger things have happened!

Today I found a wooden carved penis in a property at outgoing inspection (different property) as well as bags of flour and cans of lentils and other food items. All left there for use by the next tenant. How thoughtful. :confused:

VMR, EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what happened :)
    Hopefully not from dodgy house sitting place! So are the original tenant they staying?

Sounds like wood carved thing from Bali? A friend have one that's a bottle opener. I hope next tenant doesn't mistook it for a toy....
    :confused:
    Rental listing: property come with bags of flour and lentils to last you for 3 months. Not sure if you should mention the wood carved thingy....

Perthguy, wylie and Xenia like this.
  7. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Xenia, this is certainly one of the unpleasant realities of Property Management...highlights how important it is to ensure we all have risk management policies and guidelines for PMs to follow i.e. to have a non negotiable agency policy in place that for any anticipated risk situation e.g. suspected property abandonment; drug lab scenario; angry tenants when addressing malicious damage matters etc...to ensure agency protocols cite for two PMs to attend; to have the phone number of emergency services saved in work phones etc. Thank you for sharing this story Xenia - as an experienced Principal your story really offers us powerful learning experiences...

Xenia likes this.
  8. HappyCamper

HappyCamper Well-Known Member

Fantastic plot. Did you figure out why the locks were changed?

9. VMR

VMR Member

Never a dull moment!