My odd Bunnings experience last night.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Depreciator, 31st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I shake my head in wonder and disappointment. Hasn't anyone bar me thought of the obvious solution. Take your own onions and tell 'em to reduce the price by 10c .

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, but unlike you most like their onion cooked:p.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Most but not all.
    onionabbott.jpg

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

5. SatayKing

I ain't as weird as that.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Our Little Athletics club (Northern Suburbs LAC) is highly regarded for our BBQ on Saturday mornings - we source our sausages and bacon from the local butcher - Springbok Delights on Mowbray Rd, Lane Cove West - who do very flavoursome meat. We place an order weekly - I'm not sure exactly how many we order, but it wouldn't quite be as many as they would go through at Bunnings since we aim to close up the BBQ no later than 11am - since we need to vacate the grounds by noon on a Saturday.

Alas, we rarely cook onions - the typical offering is a "bacon, egg and sausage" roll - perhaps with salad and avacado - but definitely with a wide selection of sauces (tomato, BBQ, sweet chilli, mayo, steak, and several others).

I may have to have a talk to the club committee about adding onions to the roster (and appoint a safety officer to monitor their cooking and distribution :rolleyes: )

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

:eek:
    29AD86BB-D417-4CCF-A624-A931ABCF46EF.jpeg

8. geoffw

I like my steak rarely cooked, though I prefer onions to be well done.

9. Simon Hampel

Part of the problem is lack of cooking real estate. We only have one BBQ and it is already full of sausages, bacon and eggs - adding onion to the mix would further complicate the cooking process and potentially compromise the timely delivery of the critical meats and eggs!

Angel likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Alas, I should have used the word: infrequently :p

11. geoffw

Here's some for you.
    house-burning-450w-311461274.jpg

12. Simon Hampel

The good thing about our Christmas break from Little Athletics is that I don't have to get up before 6am this morning (and also try and get my son out of bed!).

The bad thing about our Christmas break from Little Athletics is that I don't get my bacon/egg/sausage on a roll with mayo on it this morning (and a Bunnings sausage on bread just won't do the job!).

I may have allowed myself to be distracted by other tasks this morning - but thanks to this thread, it is now firmly in my consciousness and I have the urge to consume some BBQd bacon egg and sausage.

I was planning on visiting Sprinkbok Delights this weekend anyway - perhaps I will need to go for a drive this morning and pick up something and cook it myself.

13. SatayKing

Drive? Drive?

A few minutes walk to a local eatery for a brekky roll - double bacon, egg, cheese, ONIONS and tomato sauce.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The only thing you left out of the advert is the $$. Can knowledgeable members of the general riff raff come and buy a B&E roll from the BBQ or must we purport to bring our kids?

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Much to the shock of people esp @Nodrog I *turned down* :eek: the offer of onions the other day at a sausage sizz.... here's how it unfolded....

Walking past a sausage sizz at uni.
    They were closing up and they were giving snags away FOR FREE!
    Only catch - RAN OUT OF BREAD!!! :eek:

So it was a case of snag(s) straight on serviette (or hands) ... and onions (they guy did try very hard to offer it as they had to clean out!!) and sauce..... this wasn't going to work..... I took 2 snags instead (no sauce, no onions!) :p

The Y-man

16. Simon Hampel

You are quite welcome to come down to Rotary and buy a sausage - although I would suggest that you may have difficulty finding a park nearby on a Saturday morning - although some people may have started leaving around 10:30am.

We charge $6 for a sausage, bacon and egg roll - I think salad on top is a little extra, but not sure on current pricing there.

We have resisted the drive to put up prices on Zooper Doopers yet - still 50c each from the canteen!

Next carnival is 12th January.

You could always sign your kids up to Little A's and then you can get the BBQ every Saturday morning :D

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

I think in those circumstances, foregoing the onion was a wise choice!

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

You’re forgiven. Sometimes desperate measures are called for:).

19. Simon Hampel

We actually just got back from Bunnings - the local Sea Scouts were selling the last of their Christmas trees (everyone else has sold out and we missed out on buying them last weekend due to being in Parramatta all weekend for Little Athletics).

The lure of the sausage smell was almost unbearable - but we were there for the trees so I resisted. While I spent 5 mins or so securing the tree to the car, I suggested my wife take the kids and buy some cupcakes from the scouts - but they came back with sausages :rolleyes:

I think cooking a BBQ in the enclosed carpark of a Bunnings is a stroke of genius - the smell doesn't go anywhere, so the moment you pull in, you are bombarded with the smell of BBQd sausage and onion.

I would be interested to see stats on how many sausages are sold at Bunnings with enclosed carparks (ie under the building) vs those with open air carparks - I suspect they would sell substantially fewer at the open air Bunnings without the benefit of the smell!

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Importantly the onion plays a huge roll in that amazingly tempting aroma. Impossible to resist. They should bottle it and turn it into a perfume. Men would go crazy over women wearing that:cool:.

luckyone and Simon Hampel like this.