My job just mandated the vaccine. I dont know what to do

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by HBK, 24th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HBK

HBK Well-Known Member

I have a week to make my mind up
    I dont want the vaccine. If i quit i cant buy more properties and i wont have money comming in
    My biggest concern is the long-term side effects no one knows what could happen. As there is no long term studies on it obviously.
    So im in a difficult situation. Not sure what to do
    Is anyone else is this situation?

Serveman, alexpreston and The Y-man like this.
  2. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

No one knows the long term side effects of Covid or the vaccine. Would you rather risk getting infected? Surely the side effects including death rate of Covid must be higher than that of the vaccine based on what we have seen so far. No one knew the side effects of small pox vaccines. But we all have benefitted from the small pox vaccine because of our ancestors who took it.

Are you hoping that enough population around you will get vaccinated so you get auto protection? If enough % of the population think like that we will never be able to control the disease.

We all need to do our bit for the greater good of the community.

craigc, Phoenix Pete, meni and 13 others like this.
  3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

My cousin in northern NSW was in the same situation, he was hesitant because of misinformation but got vaxed the next day. The vax is safe, take it.

4. captain starlight

captain starlight Well-Known Member

I would seek legal advice. I am sure you are not the only one in this situation, and I am also sure that there are people out there who say you are doing wrong in not wanting the vaccination, but they should also respect your decision. After all, it is your choice.

You should be able to claim or register some type of exemption - be it for ethical, cultural or religious reasons. Other groups can claim exemptions for other things.

So seek legal advice. This type of employer mandate needs to be tested by law.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not an anti-vaxxer and I do respect your choice.

Observer, KBHV, Archaon and 1 other person like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have the vaccine.

As to ‘long term side effects’, those fears are baseless and just the result of the misinformation being spread by anti vaxers.

6. captain starlight

captain starlight Well-Known Member

playing the devil’s advocate - how do you know the vac is safe? With your statement, can you guarantee that there will be no long term side effects?

Don’t shoot the messager here, I am just wanting to think about any potential long term issues. After all, history does show us that some previous vaccines and medicines which were once touted as being great did end up causing many issues.

Serveman, alexpreston and HBK like this.
  7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You could just get the vaccine?

Aside from the fact that it's safe (the US FDA is giving Pfizer full approval next week...probably Monday), vaccination is the ONLY way left for us to get out of this nightmare.

The F.D.A. is aiming to give full approval to Pfizer’s Covid vaccine on Monday.

8. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Earlier in 2021 I shared your concerns. At that time there was very little COVID in Australia. So it seemed like there was time to wait and make an assessment later on. When the COVID hit in Vic in late May, the risks of taking the vaccine became lower than the short term risk of taking the vaccine.

Like most Australians I hate being forced to do anything

However, I look at the vaccine as helping me reduce both the likelihood of becoming seriously ill and also meaning if enough of us are vaccinated we reduce the likelihood other more vulnerable members of the community will get COVID

I’m getting my second shot today it’s AZ so earlier than the recommended gap, but I think think that getting the second shot earlier will mean in 2-3 weeks I wil have better protection and be less of a risk to others

Stoffo and Joynz like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I suggest having a look at the respected scientific medical sites for your research.

Reading the scientific research should calm your fears.

Bunbury, George Smiley, wylie and 3 others like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If concerned about the new mrna tech, then take the AZ ... the AZ is based on old technology of using dead virus cells, the basis of all vaccines since the 1700s

Joynz and wylie like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Are you bring sarcastic, or did I get that wrong?

12. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Easy. Get off Facebook and get the vaccine. Simples

Hetty, Joynz, shorty and 7 others like this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

You probably didn't get it wrong.

Anyway, here is the approval process for vaccines. Those who express doubt, for want of a better word, are unlikely to have the ability to develop such a process or undertake an alternative assessment process to justify their position.

COVID-19 vaccine approval process

Vaccine Testing and Approval Process | CDC

Joynz, PurpleTurtle, Kriv and 4 others like this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

This may go some way to assist in understanding the position of those who do not believe in science and the scientific process. It applies to "alternative" views on various scientific disciplines. And doubters lives in general. Just saying.

KateSydney, DJC, WattleIdo and 9 others like this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thinking further. ... my comment was to vague, but I feel like we've posted several thousands links to scientific papers and peer reviews on here already.

As an investor, the op should understand statistics ... so look at the number of vaccinations given, the risks of issues from the vaccines ... the real stats from severed illness and death linked to the vaccine, not the conspiracy theory "xx people died after receiving the vaccine", when the vast majority of those were very elderly and simply died ... and the risk of being unvaccinated of severe illness and death.

And look at the compounding effect of the virus even tho we're in lockdown and calculate the risk once lockdown is lifted

And read up on the vaccines themselves, or talk to a trusted doctor, to educate yourself on how they work to boost the immune system

Basically, educate yourself with the truth and science from those who have dedicated their lives to studying these diseases ... don't rely on getting your information from some overnight "expert" on social media

Last edited: 24th Aug, 2021
    thatbum, George Smiley and Tyla like this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Where you live and what you do for a job directly influence your chance of exposure, and in turn your health risk.
    Eg, if you are a WFH computer programmer living in a remote area your need to be vaccinated could be reduced, yet if you are a barrista at a high volume cafe in a major city dealing with the public in the 100's each day then you should probably risk tbe vaccine side effects because you likely will get Covid.

Your employer requiring it is another discussion
    A friend works for Qantas, he had long since had his Pfizer shot, and due to his exposure to high volumes of people was trying to also get the AZ shot (then he got stood down again :().

17. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

How do u know about long term side effects? There are so many things we do not know for sure but we still do them. Even for food - how do u know its safe to eat in restaurant? Recently there was incident whereby there were some drugs in a brownie sold at restaurant.

By not taking vaccine, you are not helping the cause of controlling covid. On top of that, you are putting others and entire health system at risk. Its our responsibility to contribute to betterment of our society too. I find the view that - its my choice not to take vaccine - very selfish view. Will person not taking vaccine, will say that i do not want any medicare benefits? Its something similar to worldwar II bombing scenario. If a city is under attack by planes at night, there is a blackout order to switch off all lights in order to avoid detection by enemy planes. I find not taking vaccine is similar ti someone switching their lights on during blackout period.

18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I don’t know your reasons so won’t judge.

If you are one if the few who cannot be vaccinated for genuine medical reasons, get a letter from your doctor.

Don’t resign.
    No-one can forcibly vaccinate you.
    Consult your union if you are a member.
    If you are dismissed there are avenues to pursue a wrongful dismissal claim.

Be aware that if this demand is in relation to the industry you work in, you will struggle to find alternative employment. A future prospective employer may not be allowed to ask vaccination status, but applicants who freely show proof of vaccination will be at an obvious advantage.

I strongly recommend you consult your doctor to discuss your reluctance.

Shazz@, WattleIdo and Tyla like this.
  19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No matter whether you wish to take the vaccine or not, your chance of getting seriously ill from covid and/or dying is much higher if you don't take it than if you do.

KateSydney, Hetty, Joynz and 5 others like this.
  20. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Really it comes down to this. It's truly amazing how many people willingly get their vaccine information from the idiocracy on social media. Sure, respected medical and science sites can make for dry reading and may not capture the attention as well as the bombastic hysterics of the anti-vaxxers, who have been discredited a million times and will sadly continue to be so, but its' in your self-interest to seek out the former.

Refer to John Cleese posted previously.

KateSydney, bmc, Tyla and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.