My freo airbnb

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by thatbum, 22nd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

For photo shoot get onto a PC and at the bottom of the photography page (or thereabouts) you might see something saying "this property qualifies for free professional photography".

I do think area photos help because some people might be tossing up between a few listings in different neighbourhoods and knowing your place is 'x' minutes from attraction 'y' might just seal the deal for them, or they may just fall in love with the area based on your pics.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Maybe I am on ignore.....lol...... I do think this will add value.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Ha sorry no I accidentally skipped past - and I meant that no guests had really said anything about the licensing stuff.

I'd like to think it quietly gives some confidence to prospective guests - I had a similar experience in a new york apartment airbnb as @Marg4000 where we had to pretend we were friends visiting.

I didn't think to make a photo of it more prominent - probably is a good idea.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think it helps for sure, it is one of the less attractive things on AirBNB IMO, this would give confidence (and who wants to be sneaking around or pretending to be whomever when your paying a fee)

bob shovel likes this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Interestingly, a couple more units in my complex have been listed on airbnb since I started.

Airy, central Freo warehouse apartment (2 BR) - Apartments for Rent in Fremantle

Bespoke art studio in cultural hub - Apartments for Rent in Fremantle

These other two were already pre-existing when I started:

Central Trendy Fremantle Apartment - Apartments for Rent in Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia

The Loft-Fremantle CBD - Lofts for Rent in Fremantle

Which actually makes the complex quite airbnb heavy! There's 17 units total, and I know at least 2 or 3 are vacant or commercial, which means there's at least a third listed as short stay!

Fortunately, nearly all the units are unique, so I'm not too worried.

6. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

AirBnB is the next big thing. Interesting thing is that at the moment it's not replacing hotels 100%.
    It is mostly generating extra tourism. People who didn't want to travel before because of expensive accommodations are now willing to spend their time traveling.
    Hence more and more supply coming in.

7. Gockie

I think short term lets are the new "rent by room/boarding house". But short term lets/holiday rentals tend to be much less stress than managing a boarding house - who wants to deal with managing a shared house with lots of people each renting one room?

With electricity use (@fullylucky on somersoft), personalities, rent collection, tenant behaviour (sometimes rent by roomers are not the top people of the tenant pool) and strict council compliance (if you have a larger property) rent by room can be a pain in the bum. And having read @perps thread... it would turn off everybody off except the most brave. Share houses can be very profitable but at the same time it appears to be relatively work intensive....

But short term let hosting on the other hand... you generally deal with 1 set of guests per property at any one time. You just have to manage your calendar/s, arrange cleaning, make sure you manage your linen and other household consumables, attend to any property and guest issues asap.... its not that hard. And airbnb makes money collection easy.
    And guest interactions are 98% positive!

There is the demand for short term lets, but of course, it works better in some places more than others.

Re: guests, I think many of them would have stayed with friends, relatives or at youth hostels in addition to mid and lower range hotels or motels if this sort of accommodation was not out there.

8. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I also note that as more and more people choose to live in apartments in Sydney, there's a lot of people that comes to visit their relatives or friends but have stay in a Airbnb because they do not have room in their place!

9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

13k. Good to know. I had budgeted about 5k, man I would have been wayyy off.

thatbum likes this.
  10. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

Spike in Airbnb listings leaves hotels in the west crying foul

It appears to be taking off very quickly in WA and I think competition in the short-stay market will continue to increase for a while yet with the growth in listings and hotels changing their marketing. Will continue to get tougher and returns will likely drop. Existing airbnbs with good reviews will fair the best but new airbnbs may struggle to get off the ground.

Possibly the best times to own an airbnb has already gone in WA.

11. Pentanol

13k is a lot, especially for just a studio. I bought a king size bed, two king singles, a double sofabed, coffee table, tv unit, dining suite with six chairs and three bedside tables for 4.2k. This is for a two bedder! Waiting for a TCL smart tv to go on special before getting one and may get a queen size loft bed to fit eight people in the place!.

12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I am surirpised he paid so much for a TV. I’m a huge movie / game buff and I didn’t even spend more than $500 on my own set! I got some factory second off brand rubbish lol

13. Lars

Lars Member

Your listing is looking awesome! The best of luck renting it out :)

14. Gockie

I've had heaps of guests in this very situation.

Pentanol likes this.
  15. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@jaybean i’ve furnished three Airbnb’s and all have been for $5k and under - it takes a bit longer but definitely doable !

16. Pentanol

Me too! It's great, never thought about it before but it made sense when I saw the number enquiries of potential guests mentioning visiting family! Always thought of only interstate and international tourists looking for a cheaper alternative!