My first renovation story (detailed). Looking to add value, refinance, then purchase an IP.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Attila Zoltan, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Great stuff, very impressed with the results on a budget. Keen to see how your bathrooms and kitchen come out. $1k for a kitchen sounds tight to me with a new cooktop and oven. Keep at it!

2. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Great post look forward to more info.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

We'll do you a deal. We can provide the input and reports...and you can put $1000 on the bar at the next meet up ;) bargain

4. Attila Zoltan

Attila Zoltan Active Member

is labour included? If so, its a deal.

5. bob shovel

no way! just advising services! :)

6. Attila Zoltan

just a sneak peek here.
    The current electric cooktop. It doesnt fit into the benchtop cut-out, has a 50mm gap down the left side.. Also all four cooktops are flaking rust everywhere. They look terrible and hardly work.

[​IMG]

Got hold of an electric cooktop to take its place. $80! It fits the hole cut in benchtop perfectly (unlike existing one). I measured up the hole and thats where I started my search, so I wouldnt have to make any benchtop amendments. Unfortunately I didn't know about different amperages, and didnt realise if the new cooktop is rated higher, a wire might have to be run through the wall/floor back to the circuit board, and a larger circuit breaker and fuse put in eek! :eek: Checked out the wire and existing fuse. Everything existing is rated high enough :) Thank god. Lesson learnt when looking to switch cooktops over- be aware of existing wiring ratings when on the hunt for a new cooktop. This means its simply a case of switching off the mains, and wiring it in. An electrician friend might be coming round on the weekend. He can help do that part.

[​IMG]

Cooktop is a kleenmaid- a brand with a pretty bad reputation. But for $80, without any serious electrical work needed, and it was bought to fit the existing benchtop cutout perfectly. Came in original box with instructuions and everything. The guy used it for 6 months before upgrading to an induction cooktop. Im pretty happy with that deal :) $1k kitchen budget on track haha. Well see how it goes..

7. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

Nice find!!!

8. Attila Zoltan

Thoughts on replacing the pink double vanity in the Master bedroom ensuite with a single basin vanity?

I've been reading that a double vanity doesnt necessarily increase value, but that it might appeal to some additional people if youre selling.
    Just asking as i've come across a very very cheap good condition single vanity unit in a colour that matches the rest of the house.

Thinking I could remove the double vanity, replace with this single vanity, and add some extra storage or something in the opened space.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

9. Attila Zoltan

That is,
    replacing this one:
    [​IMG]

with this one:
    [​IMG]

for a cost of $20.

My only hesitations are:
    1. maybe a double vanity is a good feature and going back to a single would be taking a step back?
    2. Even though it matches, is in good nick, etc, should I be going all out with the bathroom and get something far more grand than this?

Im thinking the cream colour would mix well with a nice cream travertine floor tile.. less money spent on the vanity could mean more money spent on quality looking tiles.
    Or I could even spend the savings on fixing the vanity up a little with a stone top, or even a complete flat stone top and a low vessel basin on top.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. bob shovel

I'd say personal pref plus size of room and how functional it is. plus if it suits the bathroom

11. Susan

Susan Member

Well done so far. Thanks for sharing :)

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good stuff, the pics show a big difference.
    It's far more satisfying when you can do a lot of it yourself.

13. Attila Zoltan

Thanks. Things have been a bit slow these last few weeks. I have about 5 projects going at once, and none complete enough to show the final effect. But ill share a few teasers anyway.

Also a bit off-topic but I might slot in a photo or two of that snow day (17/07/15) we had! It was such a great experience. Something I haven't been exposed to before- waking up to a world of white. That's when I really realised I no longer live in the suburbs of Sydney :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok back to the renovations now..

Carport plan!

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

It currently has two lights inside. Which is good as routing new electricity requires some extra paperwork I believe.

So the plan is: to fit some wooden barn doors. I've got some ideas for an internal fitout, but I might leave them as ideas incase they don't happen. Still researching what I can get away with without too much Council involvement and approvals. Point is I have lots of tools I currently store in the living room, and a secure garage would be highly beneficial :) Started making some timber doors. Looked at a bunch of pictures on the internet and tried to choose something that would match the rest of the house. I figured this style was pretty suiting. Not an impeccable job, but the overall effect is already pretty good :)
    Left the tops open to explore fitting windows, but decided against it and will close them off completely this weekend. Also will add more of those thin vertical pieces on the top halves. Have some black handles/locks to fit too, and a lion head door knocker :p

Paint has been purchased too. Colour scheme for the garage will be light green/dark green/beige colour (similar to hogs bristle)/ and a dark purple for the gutters and downpipe.

[​IMG]

I'm very excited to get this one done as I think it will add plenty of street appeal, as well as open up my working space significantly :) Expecting to finish the doors in about 2 weekends, then will probably paint it all as soon as I am happy with the look of the doors.

Its looking like the doors will cost around the $400 mark with materials and paint included.

Stay tuned for further progress pics on this one :) They wont be too far away.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Awesome work mate. Enjoying this thread :)

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool, doesn't happen very often.
    And a beautiful sunny 'Winter' day today!

16. mike7575

mike7575 Well-Known Member

this is great!

17. Attila Zoltan

Well its been ages since ive updated anything.
    Money got tight and work got busy, so everything halted slightly.
    I have however been making small changes and improvements every so often.
    Lots of materials, paint and ideas are ready for this christmas break :)
    So i've decided to relight the fire in this thread and get moving with some more progress.

The Master bedroom is almost complete.
    Walls were painted Hog Bristle Half. Venetian timber blinds were removed. All trims were painted vivid white. Floor was completed. Trim piece between corridor and bedroom fitted.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also removed the venetian blinds and chandelier. Painted the window trims white. Got given a free light from a friend so had that fitted by antoher electrician friend. Worked out to be free. Colour doesnt exactly match the room, but its way more fitting than the old chandelier...

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

Also I worked out a solution to finish off the stair/floorboard interaction. The floorboards were 10mm higher than the top stairnosing, as the stairs were covered in carpet previously. Solutions involved either removing the staircase and lifting it, or other complicated solutions. I ended up going to a flooring store and looking through their many trim pieces and junctions. Found one in the end that matched colour nicely, and stepped down almost perfectly 10mm. Cut the last floorboard and glued the trim over the top. Worked a treat. Havent had a single issue with tripping over it as I was told I might.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now guys. Just an update on hte master bedroom. Things left to do here are fit roller blinds on the main large windows. Decided to keep the highlight window as is.
    Also fitting a hexagon shaped shelf onto the wall next to the door.
    Finally, I will buy a few timber mouldings to fit to the door and give it a bit of shape. Its pretty boring at the moment

Then that room is complete :)

Total cost of master bedroom renovation (~$800):
    Paint ~$80
    Laminate floor+2mm underlay ~$250
    Light + fitting - FREE
    Roller blinds (expected cost) ~ $400
    Timber mouldings for doors (expected) ~ $50

Lots more to come in the following few weeks. I'm gearing up for a week of renovating.
    Got all supplies ready, just waiting for some time.

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I love the tortoise-shell model at the foot of the stairs.
    Hoping to get some serious progress made at Christmas too.

You're right about the chandelier/light-fitting. What have you done with the old one?

19. Attila Zoltan

mum said she might want it in her room. Otherwise I was going to bin it. Any reason not to? Sitting in the not sure if rubbish or not pile in the garage.

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. Attila Zoltan

Small tasks on the weekend. Gave the side gate and handrail a lick of paint. As well as the first section of the balcony. Replaced the middle baluster with a gumnut cutout piece from bunnings.

Overall I think it all looks much better :)

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

The gumnut balusters cost about $20 each. So I might only get 2 or 3 so as to not overcapitalise.
    Paint cost about $150 for 4L of each colour light and dark.

WattleIdo likes this.