Entertainment & Music Musicians in PChat :)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by EN710, 28th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

My husband saw a run down but good quality electric guitar for cheap at cash converters so he's going to try his hand at a reno and flip :D

Whether he will actually be able to bring himself to sell it when he's done will be another matter entirely :rolleyes:

EN710 likes this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yeah.....it was getting scarey for a while there, with the amount of time he was putting into searching for guitars. I could see them piled up to the roof & still more arriving every day, so I said that he could not have any more guitars than I had cats. That seemed to work for a while, as he sold one to make room for another, better one, but now we have one extra guitar & no sign of any of them going. His current favorite is his electric guitar, which is an American Stratocaster Fender....I think that's what it's called. Then he's got an accoustic electric Maton guitar & two other accoustics, I can't remember what they are. We even had to visit the Maton factory last time we were in Melbourne, to see how they were made.

Ted Varrick and SatayKing like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Woa....and you say he is a leaner! :eek: Well, he can't blame the gear if his playing isn't up to scratch :D

...and I hope your insurance is covering them! (seriously - not intending to start a domestic or anything, but those 2 items mentioned are probably worth more than my car).

The Y-man

Davothegreat likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Awesome - I say progress photos mandatory!

The Y-man

Kesse likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'm afraid @skater when a guy or gal has GAS there is nothing you can do. Therapy could be attempted but I doubt it will work as it is such an insidious condition.

For example, this is on the way to me (thanks, my son, you're a good lad)

[​IMG]

and I have vowed no more but.......... never say it ain't possible. I have my eye on a Custom Maton and the luthier made only six of the particular model. Apart from it's sound and gorgeousness, the price is very attractive - as it should be since as soon as you buy them, the value drops by 40%+ on the used market.

EN710 likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

i-bought-a-new-synth-and-she-says-are-you-gonna-sell-the-old-one-meme-40850.jpg

(substitute guitar / bike / etc)

Phantom and EN710 like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

8. SatayKing

@skater in case you don't know GAS stand for Guitar (or Gear) Acquisition Syndrome.

Davothegreat likes this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

He IS a learner.....but he seems to be learning very fast. He's also obsessive! He does a 3 hour class every week as well as private lessons and hours & hours of practice every day. He has a 'music room' at the other end of the house to my office so I can tune out when I've had enough.

Oh, & yes, they are probably worth more than either of our cars....but so are our skates, so this not something that surprises me one bit. I'm not worried! We can afford it these days, so he might as well get some decent gear.

Yeah....I kind of worked that out already. That's why he's not allowed to have more guitars than I have cats.:D

EN710 likes this.
  10. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I'd love a few more guitars but the wall I hang them on only fits 3 as it is and my wife won't let me claim another wall to hang more :-( First world problems, I know, but still... GAS is real and I last acquired a guitar 5 years ago so I've been taming the itch for a long time.

11. SatayKing

I feel for ya. Sadly, I think I am going to wilt and buy a guitar I'm looking at. Completely beyond my talent and ability but when has that ever mattered when you're in lurve?

12. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Wow great thread, been a musician all my life and completed B.Mus at UQ in 1994 majoring on trumpet, alto sax. Was formerly very active in Jazz scene at various local and OS festivals. Now it provides much needed balance to the financial industry career :)

Couple of clips below...

Lately was inspired to write a song for a friend Greg Kelly who has inspired me with the way he is facing up to the tough times at the moment.

Recorded this song with my good friend Matt McLaren (blind Aussie singer/pianist) .......it's now available on iTunes. This is a radio cross done with my friend that tells a bit of the story....

Anyone ever wants to jam on the Gold Coast let me know :)

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2017
    WestOz, Davothegreat and The Y-man like this.
  13. Davothegreat

What are you eyeing up?

14. SatayKing

This. She came home with me last night. A gorgeous, gorgeous gal.

Jesu, occasionally I have a total lack of financial discipline and this was one of those times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Davothegreat and The Y-man like this.
  15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Ha! This used to be me! Then I discovered virtual instruments......holy moly. Life changing discovery that one.

16. Davothegreat

*Nods*... very nice. Good choice. The nicest sounding guitar I've ever had the pleasure of playing was a 12 string Maton. Been nearly 20 years and I still remember it. If I ever buy an acoustic it will be a Maton.

17. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

So much stuff on Youtube we'd likely never come across, have time to see it all etc.

Thought I'd share this, came across it a few months back, bookmarked which is rare for me, play it through my HiFi. Very talented what he can do with that tech stuff, also plays with a band in other vids.

Some of you may have seen something like this before with buskers or similar, I haven't.

18. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@skater , I don't know how old you are, if you know this young Aussie kid (now guy) but search Nathan Cavaleri on youtube.
    I first remember seeing him on Hey Hey it's Saturday, Nek Minnit his on stage/concert with Dire Straits, jammed with BB King, Diesel, many others...
    Nathan Cavaleri - Wikipedia

19. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

After how many glasses of Chardy or Champers ;)

Xenia likes this.
  20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's a name I haven't heard for a long time. I'm not exactly much of a follower of artists though.