Multiple Quotes for a repair - how do you choose?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Peppas, 7th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

I'm currently looking at doing some ground drainage repairs for a property, and have multiple quotes. They each believe that the amount of work they've quoted is sufficient and obviously differ, the two I am deciding between differ by about $1k but one is quoting significantly more work.

So would you do the minimum and hope it resolves the issue, or would you do the one with more work to ensure the issue hopefully doesn't return? What aspects would you consider to decide? I find it hard judging what is required not being able to go on site, etc, plus having to trust the word of tradies :)

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Until they have dug a hole or put a camera down there they won't know what they have got to deal with. If the general diagnosis is the same ie replace x metres of damaged pipe go with the flow. Speak with both to clarify 'what ifs'. Just be on site to see what they are doing.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would probably discuss the scope in the less detailed version and see if its a pruned quote or if its for same matters - it may be equal. eg Did they quote socked ag pipe or a cheaper solution ? What gear are they using for the job (hand or a huge excavator that will tear up the place?)

Other things can be non-quantitive and be things like - do they have a license ? when can they actually start ? What will they do with waste ?