Multiple dwellings on acreage

Discussion in 'Development' started by Cam Kent, 31st Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cam Kent

Cam Kent New Member

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and a first time investor/developer wanting some advice and/or shared experiences regarding developing dwellings on acreage

My wife and I are searching for some acreage around Mornington peninsula (3-5 acres) with a view to build a number of small units/tiny houses to begin renting out through airbnb or similar accom sharing platform.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this around the country and what obstacles & challenges did you encounter from a planning/council perspective and also in hindsight what you learned along the journey.

Thanks and great to be a part of what looks like a great forum!
    Cam

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

The obvious difficulty seems to be how you would get planning approval for you to be essentially running what sounds like a caravan park. How well do you know your planning rules and processes?

lixas4 likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Finance likely to be commercial or agribiz at best, so need to factor that into the running costs

ta
    rolf

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Was it @Lizzie who built some holiday accomodation?

Your biggest challenge will be getting permission from council to do so. You'll probably need some assistance from a town planner to work out where it's a permitted use in the area - if it is at all.

lixas4 and Lizzie like this.
  5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It can be done - we have done this for clients, at both that kind of scale and larger (caravan parks). You will need to check planning controls but generally speaking it is possible to apply for a permit in most rural areas. There is some finesse to it though, so a word to the wise - don't blunder in to the Council (any Council) and assume that you will get help. There will most likely be an initial resistance and it is critical that in early discussions the correct "planning" language is used, so you don't start off on the wrong foot. PM me if you would like to discuss in detail. But short answer is - it may be possible (zone detail and location dependent)

lixas4, Westminster and Cousinit like this.