NSW Moving to Central Coast next 6 months - where?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Stephen Thomas, 27th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas Member

Hi all,

My first post - so apologies if I have put this in the wrong place. We are currently in France (wife's academic work) but previously living on the Northern Beaches. She has a new job at Macquarie University and we will be looking to move to the Central Coast - priced out of Sydney, like many, but now also with a family so looking for somewhere not as crazy to settle down. We'll be moving in September with 3 yo & one yet to arrive....so could be interesting.

I've seen quite a few threads online about people inquiring with similar circumstances of relocating to the CC. I have read often that there is some great streets and some not so great streets….but also that things are changing.I've also read that the Central Coast is still on the up (generally).

Preliminary research is indicating around East Gosford (general geographical area) would be good balance of access to the train (for wife to get to work at Macquarie uni) and access beaches. We are looking at around 500K (quite manageable) - 600K (absolute max.), ideally 4 bed, 2 bath. Of course, some capital growth over time on the, yet to be purchased, family home would be nice too....

In a perfect world we'd love to buy something before moving back and be able to move straight in (especially as we have 3yo boy and one still incubating) BUT I think we realistically have to rent for 3-6 months to feel it out given it will be our family home....BUT, saying that, if a 500K house is likely to go up 40-80K in that waiting time we might be motivated to purchase before returning to Australia.

There seems to be some very wise/well informed people on this website so was wondering if there are any thoughts regarding areas to consider and/or the "BUY NOW!" vs. "Just wait".....

Many thanks in advance!

2. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Obviously looking near a train station?

Tuggerah would be my first call, close to Westfields, railway station , freeway , modern houses.

Area is still growing .

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

4. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

@Propertunity is the king of the central coast, give him a call :)

Sackie and neK like this.
  5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Another vote for using @Propertunity's services.

So many variables that it would be good to get a BA - especially if looking for a PPOR

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If I was faced with that decision my thought is that Woy Woy's good in that you can get trains that stop only Woy Woy - Hornsby - Epping and from there Macquarie Uni is just 1 more station away. I'd generally pick the shorter faster commute over the beach. You'll still be able to get to beaches but personally i'd prioritise the rail access.

However, if you can find something that gives you water views, in your budget, I'd probably sacrifice the commute speed.

7. Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas Member

Many thanks "Darlinghurst Boy". We have toyed with being that little bit further away in the Berkeley vale vicinity. It will depend on wife's commute (and if she is OK with an extra 20mins each way). Will have to just pop her on the train from there a few times to see how she fairs as I think we will just have to rent for at least a few months when we arrive in September. We should be perfectly timed to buy a place right at the peak of the market - ha ha (cry).

8. Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas Member

Thanks Scott. Yes, I suspect we will likely end up either Woy Woy or Gosford station (geographically). Someone mentioned Tascott on another site....a half way I guess. As I mentioned to "Darlinghurst Boy", we will unfortunately just have to rent for a few months to feel out the right house/street/area etc. etc. - as much as I;d like to buy now and avoid likely even more mortgage to buy in Nov/Dec....when we would have been physically "there" a few months....

9. Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas Member

Thanks for the tip. I had shot Alan from property unity an email after seeing him on this site. He had a most helpful response. I suggested we may need his services for valuation and negotiation come Nov/Dec when we should be in a position to buy (will have rented for 2 months on CC by then and be in-country to view any potential property's). Wish the prices weren't still on the up at the moment as it would seem we will likely be trying to buy at the peak. :( ......but, sometimes that's may be when fewer want to buy....so could have more "haggle leverage"......but probably dreaming....

Patamea likes this.
  10. Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas Member

Thanks for the reinforcement Chilliblue...as I responded to "Patema" who posted the suggestion:
    "I had shot Alan from property unity an email after seeing him on this site. He had a most helpful response. I suggested we may need his services for valuation and negotiation come Nov/Dec when we should be in a position to buy (will have rented for 2 months on CC by then and be in-country to view any potential property's). Wish the prices weren't still on the up at the moment as it would seem we will likely be trying to buy at the peak. :( ......but, sometimes that's may be when fewer want to buy....so could have more "haggle leverage"......but probably dreaming...."

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Stephen... just a tip.... try the multiquote button next time. (Ie. Click "quote" on each post you want to quote). It saves you from posting 4 separate responses in succession...
    :)

12. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@Stephen Thomas it is always a good time to buy so keep your wish list in an order of priority and someone like Alan can help.

Best of luck.

13. eskander

eskander Well-Known Member

@Stephen Thomas I recommend driving through the central coast when you're back and checking out different areas. You'll find a difference in the exterior appeal, demographics, socioeconomic status etc and so that may also help you decide.

Vacant likes this.
  14. Stephen Thomas

Stephen Thomas Member

Thankyou Gockie! Excellent. Saves everyone's time. He can be taught.... :)

Appreciate the vote of confidence ChillieBlue.

Agree eskander. We can also make better decision on getting one of those "nicer streets" over the "not quite as nice" which seems to be a common observation in the CC threads.

As I've said before.....you really are a helpful bunch.

Gockie likes this.
  15. MattA

MattA Well-Known Member

I'd also consider Green Point or Erina...

Stephen Thomas and eskander like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.