Moving floorboard

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Honeydew, 3rd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Honeydew

Honeydew Well-Known Member

Hi,

My rental home once had beautiful floating polished timber floorboard that has had water damage in parts of the home by the previous tenants. Now the current tenant is claiming they are randomly moving, leaving about 1cm gaps between the floorboard pieces making it unsafe for her to wear stilletos around the house as her heels once got caught in the gap and made her fall.

The floorboard just look abit damaged in part of the house due to the water exposure but in other parts they are find so and the PM said its just a cosmetic thing but people can still walk on them. Replacing the whole house will cost about 6-7k !!!! just so the tenant can wear stilletos around !!! otherwise the gaps will just randomly appear on the floor.... Please advise if there's anyway we can fix this issue and not make the gaps appear as fixing the entire floor in the home is bleeding me .... ='(

Many thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pleae refrain from wearing stilettos in thehouse as they damage the flooring.

Why didn't you lodge an insurance claim if it was water damage?

1 cm is severe movement - a handyman may be able to tighten the joints.

3. Honeydew

Honeydew Well-Known Member

hrmm... the tenant is so fussy it's a nightmare. She says imagine the impact if she wears stilletos around the house holding hot oil!!! Do agencies and owners have the legal right to ask tenants not to wear stilletos on the floor as it would damage the flooring ?

I am trying to lodge this claim with the insurance company but since only part of the flooring is affected I'm not sure if they will cover replacement of the whole floor. The lounge room is not damaged by water but the tenant says the floorboard is still randomly leaving gaps there hence she can't wear stilletos there hence everything must be replaced !!!! oh gosh!!!!

I really don't know what happened to the floor to cause the damage as the previous tenant did it and the useless agency did no routine inspection to find out. Only after they left that we saw the damage.

Scott, do floating floorboards have joints that can be tightened to stop the movement ?

Thank you so much