Moving back to Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chillingout, 27th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

Looking for advise on moving back to Brisbane after traveling around Australia for 12 months, gaining same employment as previously held. How do you go about getting a rental? Would letter from employer be enough? And a 12 month old reference from previous rental? btw travel Aus and take more than 12months to do it.

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

The only 2 criteria a rental application can be assessed on are an applicants' ability to pay the rent and maintain the property.

Ability to pay the rent due diligence could include:
    » proof of income - salary/remuneration payslips/letter of employment, tax returns if self-employed, bank statement showing proof of savings, Centrelink income statement if receiving tax-payer assistance, other, etc.
    Ability to maintain the property could include:
    » tenancy database search to see if blacklisted for damage/money owing, etc. Physical or financial ability to maintain premise such as gardens, grounds, interior, etc.

The bottom line is, you can only provide what you can provide to support your application and the end decision is up the Lessor and it may take you a few goes before you get approved for a property. If you have outstanding matters on tenancy databases, best you clear them by remedying them, otherwise they will haunt you and restrict your lifestyle for the near and distant future... hope this helps.

Chillingout likes this.
  3. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

If someone (you) approached my agent and put in an application providing last reference from previous rental, and statement that you had not recently rented due travel, I don't think they would blink an eyelid.

All agents and owners are seeking are a tenant that pays the rent on time and does not cause (unreasonable) dramas.

4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Both completely acceptable. Just let the agent know when you apply. If you are flexible with move in dates (ie. not trying to move from one property to another) it may even work in your favor from a practical pov.

- Luke

Chillingout and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

That's great news, thanks for your help guys.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

I have another question if you guys/girls could help out?
    How common is it for a real estate agent to ask for 2 weeks rent upfront before taking it to the owners?

Congratulations that your application for ..... has been pre-approved by office.

So if you want to go ahead, please pay 2 weeks rent you in advance which is $...... to secure this property to show you are serious applicant. And then we’ll officially present your application to owner.

Is this common practice these days? Just making sure our money is safe.

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

I believe this practice is illegal - my understanding is Lessor/Agents are not allowed to request this type of thing. If I'm wrong someone please do correct me, it's learning for all who read on the forum.

When the application is approved, then the Lessor/Agent seeks the first 2-4 weeks rent paid up front, along with the bond. As above, I don't believe a 'deposit of intent' type payment request is permitted under the Act.

8. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

Thank you Michael for your response, it was our first application and was approved within 30min. Hardly feels like they had time to ring any of our references.

Haven't rented through a real estate company in years so not sure on if the process has changed since then. We are happy with the house but just checking that everything is legit?

9. MyPropertyPro

A holding deposit is legal, but not quite the way the agent is doing it! To take one, you must be provided a copy of the proposed lease and any by-laws etc. The intent is to provide a time frame (default is 48 hours) to proceed with the tenancy or they can keep the holding deposit. It is not to see how serious you are to take it to the owner. Again, you must have been provided an agreement which suggests at that stage the owner should have given the ok.

Search holding deposit on the RTA website and check out Part 4 Division 2 of the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act.

- Luke

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Report the agency to the RTA and REIQ..

11. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

Thank you for pointing us in the right direction Luke, we haven't been given a copy of the proposed lease or the by-laws yet. I can understand agents not wanting to waste there time approving tenants for them to change there mind and find another property. But i hadn't seen this practice before.

We will organise to go into there office tomorrow and see if we can get things sorted out properly. if not we will continue to look. Thanks for your help.

12. MyPropertyPro

13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

What a strange way to do business, taking a deposit before even processing the application? If someone came back with bad references and had already paid their two weeks rent, I believe that can be considered binding acceptance on behalf of both parties.

Congrats on getting approved so quickly though!