mould on ceiling. my responsibility or the tenants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Abooking, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Abooking

Abooking Well-Known Member

The PM did an inspection on my IP and once again it was reported that there is mould on the ceiling of one of the rooms. I have an old style house and obviously there is poor ventilation etc. The tenants might not be keeping windows open as much as I would like them to.

Is it my responsibility to pay someone to clean the mould off? Last year I paid a guy to do it and the year prior as well. Sometimes the tenants have done it in the last 12 yrs

The PM suggested this time it needs to be painted. The ceiling height is really low and it could be cleaned with a step ladder by a tenant.

Is it my responsibility or is it the tenants. I presume that its mine. Maybe I don’t want the tenant on a ladder cleaning a ceiling in case they injure themselves…

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

My thoughts - because of them not opening the windows: your problem

Because of them not turning on provided ventilation (like bathroom): theirs

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I do think it's yours. Fix it up and let the tenant know to open the windows every now and then to control humidity. IMO need to do their part to keep the mould from getting worse

4. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I'f you're going to repaint, make sure you get paint with mould barrier/mould resistant properties. Check if you can have a more powerful or larger exhaust fan installed (if its a bathroom?) and get it wired to the light switch - so it is active when the light is on. Will help no end to getting some additional ventilation into the room.

Perp likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If the problem is caused by a fault in the property such as a cracked tile or leaking roof: your problem

If the problem is caused by the tenants inadequately ventilating the property: their problem

My melbourne property has a window in the bathroom and a mechanical extractor fan. For some reason, tenants don't want to open the window and operate the extractor fan. The ceiling always goes mouldy. Their problem.

This is what tenant's rights.org says:

http://www.tenantsrights.org.au/Publications_Archive/MOULD - Everything you didnt want to know.pdf

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

The tenant has a right to ask for rectification unless you can clearly document their actions are the cause of the mould.

Have a professional look at exactly what the problem is and whether you need to take appropriate action or have the tenant informed in writing what they need to do.

7. Genia

Genia Member

To keep a window open in +5 weather? No thank you :)

Tenant may complain that it is not secure and also it lets the cold air in, resulting in higher heating bills.

I would investigate why exactly that room gets mould all the time. I had to fix mould in my rental property recently, according to a tradie it was caused by water leakage rom the roof.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2015
    Perp likes this.
  8. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

It's not reasonable for a window to be the only ventilation; as others have said, tenants shouldn't be required to leave windows open in cold weather. Further, if there's no safety bars / grille, they can't leave it open during the day because it's a security risk, and having it open for the short time they're in the bathroom is unlikely to be adequate.

If there's no extractor fan, you should install one. If the problem continues, then it may be worth speculating whether it's the tenant's responsibility.

9. Cathy64

Cathy64 Member

I have an IP in Launceston and it can get quite cold and this is an issue in most older homes in the area. After having guttering and roofing checked, my PM has always said that mould is the tenant's issue. We have repainted with paint that contains mould inhibitors but it does come back if there is insufficient ventilation. I have a 1900 character home and mould is not an issue, as curtains and blinds are always open and doors are open regularly even in winter. There is an advertising campaign down here promoting 10 at 10. Open windows and doors for 10 minutes at 10.00 am and that should help reduce mould issues.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  10. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

use the anti mould stuff in the paint and ensure property ventilation. If you have clearance under the house I have had builders suggest putting in a fan to have air flowing through. ( don't ask me how but it was suggested for on of the properties I looked at which had a bit of dampness)

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We always have the exhaust fan hooked up so it comes on with the light. That means the tenant has no option but to have the steam sucked out of the bathroom (at least at night).