Mould in property and damaged furnitutre?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TMNT, 12th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The only house we have that is ash block construction had mould like this backing onto the shower and it indeed was leaking plumbing. Is the mouldy bathroom wall backing onto the mouldy bedroom wall?

2. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

apparently the area in gernal is high mositure

and the heater is non flued, which apparetnely is one of the major causes,
    now i have to work out how hard fluing a non flued is

not happy jan
    :( :( :(

3. JarrodR

JarrodR New Member

I realise this is an old post. I have a medical condition that resulted from toxic black mould exposure. Worst case, it could be fatal. And that's just one of the symptoms we suffered.

It came from a negligent landlord.

If you're a landlord and you're reading this please don't treat black mould as a maintenance issue like stained carpet. It can be a major health issue.

And if that doesn't worry you read the case of Brian Julius. Search under VCAT on austlii.edu.au.

If you are a tenant I refer you to that case as well as Dr Jones of Biological Health Services who was key in getting a $7,000 payout in the case.

Tom Rivera and Marg4000 like this.
  4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I am surprised that no one mentioned PM inability to see the mould during routine inspections. Am I missing something? I thought this would be partially (at least) PM mess up. Aren't they supposed to look after your property and ensure issues like that are picked up. And I mean ISSUES, like premises being very cluttered and mould growth.

5. nswvic

nswvic Member

6. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

This is worthwhile.

I had a Mould problem in a 50 year old unit that had never had a Mould problem before, no others in the complex ever had a problem, and no problem since the tenant moved out.

Cause was simply tenant constantly using dryer, not using the exhaust fan in the laundry or opening the window. Left the laundry door open though hence the Mould problem in the rooms opposite the laundry.

Tenants can do dumb things.

To clean, I recommend a nice strong mix of water and liquid pool chlorine. Cheap and effective.

Tom Rivera and Perthguy like this.
  7. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

Between VIC and ACT I've had a lot of mouldy properties to deal with - a lot of them are in a body corporate situation being apartments and so I've thrown responsibility of costs back on the body corp. They aren't happy about it but when fronted with a professional report quoting building faults as the cause of the mould and moisture gathering in common areas as a major contributor they didn't have much choice.

Mould is a difficult issue to fix, a lot of the places that claim to remove mould and then have a wonderful warranty don't honour it and don't fix the problem, 99% of the time it is a problem of ventilation and building faults causing the issue. There is some onus on the tenant to keep themselves safe while the issue is being identified and corrected. I recently had a tenant who went to ACAT (Tribunal) about black mould in the apartment. I could show that I had, had the mould treated by an 'expert' company twice before arranging to have it all cleaned, property repainted with an anti-mould paint, curtains replaced, insulation installed in ceiling space (which ended up being half the problem). I had also on several occasions sent the tenant a fact sheet released by the ACT government about mould and ways to keep yourself and your health safe by cleaning the mould off with a combination of water and vinegar or clove oil (not bleach which just bleaches the colour from the mould without killing the spores). The tenant also confirmed in writing to me that they had not been cleaning as per my recommendations to keep themselves safe.....They did not win that tribunal hearing ;).

Perthguy likes this.